1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Thought Beltran would get a bigger number. Not make it, but closer than that. Assume it’s sign-stealing hangover?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame is a moral catastrophe and has been for 20 years. Nothing against the inductees, but fuck 'em. It's a diseased product of a corrupt power structure. I am so glad my vote was taken away (absolutely the Hall's privilege, no complaints). What
    I don't get is how anyone can still participate in this farce.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to follow baseball and now do not at all. I ceased caring about baseball years ago for a variety of reasons. Just sharing that up front, for whatever it's worth.

It is absolutely comical to me that so many of the greatest players of a generation are not deemed worthy of the hall of fame -- including the home run king -- but Scott Rolen is. The hall is only open to guys that sportswriters have (somewhat arbitrarily) decided are "clean." This just strikes me as such an utterly pointless exercise now.

Spartan Squad and Azrael like this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the Post-Dispatch's Derrick Goold voted for Bonds, Clemens and Shilling while they were on the ballot. He did not vote for ARod or Manny, KNOWN steroid cheats who served suspensions. His article about his voting this year came out a few days ago, if you want to read it and his reasoning for why he voted like he did.

I am not Derrick Goold.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The idea that Scott Rolen is in the Hall and Dale Murphy is not is asinine.

X-Hack, BartonK, BTExpress and 4 others like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by, Derrick! #TheClassics

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Correct....everybody who put out a column on their vote basically listed the scandal has a reason. His total next year is the biggest one to watch

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Gary Sheffield didn't make it again. There is right in the world.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Right. Saw that sentiment floating around but hadn’t dug in on it.

I don’t get too worked up about Hall stuff any more. The steroid era just sort of wrecked the process.

Good for Rolen. If he’s in, I think many of the players mentioned upthread should get it. Including Beltran.

Not a unique thought, but Keith Hernandez should absolutely be in.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

BUBS!!!!!!

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There were eight blank ballots, luckily they didn't change things -- Helton still would have been five votes short.

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I hope those eight voters suffer long-lasting constipation.

Draft saved Draft deleted