1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

It’s amazing how limited, or outright bad, some players were in the 80s. Carmelo Martinez played LF and admitted that he found fly balls to be difficult. Lots of guys had limited range.

Al Oliver won a batting title for the Expos, but he couldn’t throw. He should have been a DH. Around the same time the Expos had an aging Doug Flynn at 2B. Doug had nice hands and great hair, but no range, no power and a .240 average.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The deciding factor for many (a lot) of voters in saying YES Posey, NO Mauer is going to be not only was one the backbone of a three-time dynastic champion, he also walked away off a season -- .304 / .390 / .499 with 18 homers and 56 RBI with a +140 OPS in 113 games -- that showed he was truly walking away and that he had more productive seasons to add to his career totals

3. Della9250

I like the fact that you're willing to die on the Madlock hill of all places, the emptiest of high-average guys.

4. Della9250

The decision making by front offices back then is baffling in hindsight. Since this has been a referendum on third basemen, guys like Boggs and Edgard Martinez should have been called up years before based on just the basic stats they were putting up in the high minors....and then you look at what they were rolling out at the major league level and makes no sense why they trotted that out for 600 at-bats

cyclingwriter2 and Tighthead like this.
  5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Except the guys you noted are the “pretty goods.” The 27th best centerfielder shouldn’t get in before the ninth best third basemen.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Martinez was held back because Dick Williams loved the way Jim Presley played third defensively. Presley wasn’t that good.

The Sox held down Boggs because they thought Carney Lansford was great defensively. He wasn’t, but he dived for balls so he looked good to them. Meanwhile, stats show that Boggs was very good defensively despite the mantra in the 1980s that he was bad.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And even at that time neither decision, which now look like abject stupidity, should have been made because both teams had the DH.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Someone help me out here, because I'm not finding it easily with da Google.

How is defensive WAR determined/calculated?

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've never understood how defensive runs saved is calculated.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Kent's comments are correct.
    When I voted, "being an asshole" was not part of the analysis. Kent might be -- probably is -- an asshole. So was Steve Carlton.
    I would vote for Kent over Rolen -- and Dick Allen over Rolen -- any day of the week. Kent earned his spot. I hope the Veterans Committee rectifies the BBWAA mistake.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IMHO if you are using a stat that somehow shows that Alomar was a marginal HOF’er I’m out. He was one of the best 2B ever with zero doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted