1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I normally don't, either, unless it juices the odds like this. It's only a couple of bucks, but still.

Meanwhile, that KC-Cincinnati line is moving like a high-balling freight train. Started at KC -1.5 and now it's at Cincinnati -1.5.
    I like the Bengals, so on Monday I slid it out to them -1.5 and got +102 odds. I feel a little better about that now that they're -112 for the same spread.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I have, literally, thousands of dollars on the Bengals from my last two visits to legal states.

$50 free bet at +1300 to win the SB. $650
    $100 free bet at +1000 to win SB. $1000
    $40 bengals over eagles in SB (from week 15) at +2200. $880
    Plus I dropped about $250 on Bengals +3, ML and even Bengals to win between 19-24 +1300.

One $30 free bet I have to use this week. Bengals 19-24, KC U1.5 field goals, under 47 total, Chase 2 TDs. IF that magic hits, free bet gets me $7600.

I’m a Chiefs fan who is buying a win but I loved the Bengals by early December to make a real run. I also do not believe Mahomes will even be 50% of what he normally is. Could easily see Bengals win 31-10 / 34-13.

If Cincinnati beats the Eagles in the SB, fall 2023 semester is covered for my youngest.

Batman and MileHigh like this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As a Bengals fan I share your anxiety. Very best of luck.

Golf gambling ... at my outlet we hired a new picks guy this year, every week his picks include a head-to-head matchup. He hasn't lost a matchup yet and went off the beaten path this week with a battle of two no-names. The play was on PointsBet and after we published the story, his pick's odds got progressively worse. I can't believe that's a coincidence, you'd never bet this player unless you had a tip. (Plus PointsBet sucks, they probably started limiting bettors on it.) And sure enough, after one round at Torrey Pines, the pick is up by nine shots. Just fun to watch, err, I really should have tailed that.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Heard this tale second-hand from a friend, but the gist is there was a guy who called into one of the NY sports talk stations saying he picked one low-major college basketball game every night and was on like a three-week winning streak. Host was skeptical, asked him who tonight's game was. He picked some rando game. Got it right. Called in the next day, the host raved about him and asked for another pick. I think the guy said Cal Baptist over someone. The online books got so much action so fast on Cal Baptist that it was taken off the board. People are nuts, man.

playthrough likes this.
  5. playthrough

Well, now I'm angry at myself for not hate-betting the Chiefs. Would have at least dulled the pain.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Recently threw down $25 on Gonzaga to win NCAA men's tournament when they were +3500. So I'd win $900. They've lost 5 games, all to top 20 teams, including Purdue. They beat No. 2 Bama. The Zags are due to win a title and this year seems as reasonable as any bc they can hang with anyone and they don't play down to the level of competition.

Besides, those odds are crazy good.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of their losses is to Loyola Marymount, and not the Bo Kimble version either.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Still, LMU is 16-9 and third in the WCC behind St. Mary's and Gonzaga. I doubt seeing that loss woulda prevented me from tossing $25 on them to win it all, but I never said I was a good gambler :)

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

DK has been doing daily risk free SGPs on NBA games. I’ve actually won 3 of the 7 which I’ve placed. And the other 4 I’ve used for Super Bowl bets.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Vancouver Canucks have been 26-1 in their road games this year for “goal in first 10 minutes”.

Beat Islanders tonight 6-5, first goal in 11th minute.

Now 26-2.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Someone's streak of hitting Islanders unders got shredded tonight. (Not mine, haha)

12. playthrough

I can just imagine the VSIN morning guys talking about that streak. Seems like they put that prop on the map.

exmediahack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted