1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My 10-year old daughter recently found that show and binged the whole thing. I then told her about another group of people who work together to solve problems. They were once part of an elite commando unit sent to military prison for a crime they didn’t commit. She was like, you’re weird, dad.

Attached Files:

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Are there instances in Italy, England, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, Canada, Sweden… of police officers beating people death?

Or is this another problem that cannot be solved and our country is the only country with this problem?

wicked likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen a story about who Nichols was, what he did beyond being a 29-year old skateboarder who took pictures? Was listening to an NPR profile of him and they described him as a skateboarder, who lived with his mom and stepdad and had a kid. It's just kind of an odd description of someone, when I first heard the story, I figured he was 10 years younger.

And you know the beating was horrific and unjustified, when not even the local police union is offering a "yeah, but...."

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hell the union probably cleared the way to fire these fools.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

About time the cops wised up and started to police themselves. Pun intended.

The bad eggs that they kept protecting are destroying their community relations. They need thrown out immediately. Unfortunately Memphis PD is probably an outlier.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Because apparently some people think everything is the same as something else,

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

He worked a job at FedEx, where his stepfather also worked, right? That's been out there since the story blew up.

Was living in Sacramento until a year or so ago. Haven't heard why he moved back home, but it's not uncommon.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I have a law enforcement friend who generally has been on the side of cops can do no wrong. He often has a defense and a reason something happened. Today he posted a meme that said no one hates bad cops as much as good cops. And, well, I don't know.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I thought about this Friday.
    How'd you like to be a run-of-the-mill, show up, cleanly do your job MPD officer and get a call telling you to come in, strap up, and hunker down because we're all going to have to atone for what 5 assholes did? I would not be happy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A police officer friend of mine a week ago said they are totally understaffed because people keep leaving police work because how they are treated. My quiet thought was you don’t get to randomly beat the shit out of people without consequences.

This is the bed they made.

Before Ferguson, there was no record of how many people were killed by police officers nationwide. That’s not an exaggeration. No one kept track of it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One of my best friends is a cop. He’s retiring soon, because he rightly points out that 98 percent of police officers are decent human beings and are constantly punished and made to answer for the 2 percent who are not.

OscarMadison, Driftwood and Azrael like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted