1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think we liked Mahomes and the Chiefs five years ago because they were most likely to rid us of the Patriots

misterbc, exmediahack, wicked and 4 others like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And they couldn't even do that. Played 'em once. Lost. Played Brady with the Bucs a few years later. Lost.

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

We have a former graduate assistant who is the Chiefs' assistant DL coach. So there's a reason to root

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or because they have a generational talent at QB who makes ridiculous, spectacular plays, and a coach who draws up and calls creative, fun plays to showcase that generational talent. Or because they're really good and they play close exciting games against the other top teams in the league (and win a lot of them, thanks to that generational talent).

I mean, I'm not a fan of any team, but I can't think of an NFL team that's more fun to watch than the Chefs, win or lose.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, posting this as an obligatory ...

maumann, Chef2, Tighthead and 3 others like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I just hope they do an extended dissection of "Andrew 'Ried''s Punt, Pass and Kick" form. One of the best clips ever.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

That is never not amazing. He's three times as big as the kids his age! I wonder how many times he was asked for his birth certificate.

As for the Chefs/Chiefs, I think the weariness is a combo of overexposure (new blood becomes old blood with a snap of the fingers) and Mahomes' dorkiness coupled with supernatural athletic ability. We want the superstars to be nice guys, until they are, and then we don't like them because they're not edgy enough and thus are probably phony or something. I think Mahomes' image also suffers from those around him. His wife is attention-starved and his little brother seems like the Billy Carter/Roger Clinton of the family. Mahomes seems pretty grounded for the superstar son of a former professional athlete, but his Dad was a fringe MLB pitcher--a pretty fucking good achievement, to be sure, but Patrick's talent did far more to vault him on to the national stage than the last name. The wife and brother seem content to ride his name to fame. He seems loyal but I wonder how tired he is of them.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I am officially Switzerland on this topic, but I'll suggest that there is a grudging SEC-like kinship among the NFC East, so most Cowboy fans will hold their noses and root for the Beagles.

There will be certain exceptions in Texas as Mahomes played high school ball in East Texas (I covered him a couple of times) and college at Texas Tech.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since when is there that sort of kinship? I'm an Eagles fan and grew up well versed in those rivalries. I think most Eagles fans would be willing to take a strong kick to the groin if it meant the Cowboys or Giants didn't make it to the Super Bowl for another decade.
    I think most of the Giants, Cowboys and Commandskinteam fans feel the same way about the Eagles, too.
    There isn't kinship in the NFC East. There is genuine hate, largely based on all of the fan bases being incredibly obnoxious.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

So ... SEC-like anyway, right?

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I am a Cowboys fan. NFC loyalty? No Fucking Chance.

Woody Long likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And this SEC loyalty is kinda bogus, too. Yeah, we use their success as evidence of the vortex of domination, but that's just making lemonade out of lemons to boast about how tough we have it, schedule-wise.

We fucking recruit against these guys. We want them to suck. Give me Mike Shula and Jim Donnan over Nick Saban and Kirby Smart any day. I'll take my chances that the SOS hit won't hurt my 11-1*** team's postseason chances.

***much better chance of that happening if UGA and UTA EDIT: UAT suck

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Batman, maumann and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted