1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Dak play in a Super Bowl.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering who will write a story on Britt Reid and/or that poor girl.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Andy Reid raised a couple troubled (fuck-up?) sons, but I do wonder how often that is in the NFL coaching ranks. It may not be abnormal.

I’d imagine more than in society at large. Dad’s always at work and making good coin, so the entitlement is there and the mom is basically a single parent for six to eight months each year.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One of my Jacksonville sports editors used to work in Denver and he would ask us if we could come up with a story angle on John Elway that he hadn’t already done
    Nobody ever did

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I couldn't think of a way to write that. It's a far bigger reason to be ambivalent about the Chiefs than anything done by the people riding the Patrick Mahomes gravy train. Sadly, there's probably nothing uncommon about parents having two troubled kids. The first troubled son dying in his room at training camp like he did is awful enough, but you could argue that was a singularly family tragedy. But the second troubled kid works for you and drives drunk and puts a little girl into a coma THE WEEK OF THE SUPER BOWL...I don't know, it's hard to feel good about the effects of a lifetime of coaching and rooting for the big fat guy who looks like a walrus. Easy enough for me to say, but he needed to take at least a year off at some point.

BartonK and matt_garth like this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As for all the ads, Mahomes is so in the Steph Curry mold. Bi-racial kid with a dad who logged 10+ years in the pros with a good career but not a HOFer. Mahomes also "needed" to make the ads a few years ago before he really paid. He's likable (crazy wife and brother), great smile, good hair, Texas twang. Total package to sell things to young people.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If the Chiefs win, I hope Reid retires and the owner asks Sean Payton to name his price and bring in his own staff. By no means do I want Bieniemy as the head coach and Kafka left for the Giants.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don’t see Reid walking away while Mahomes is in his prime. Not for the (potential) glory but because it’s a fun ride.

wicked likes this.
  10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Amazingly he's only 64 (65 in March) if he was pushing 70 I could see him walking away. I wonder too if he has the sense of history to know if he sticks around for four or five more years he could get to 300 which is really rare air or even try to challenge for most wins ever

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why? It's like there is much of a rivalry. The Eagles are well down the list of teams Steelers fans are going to dislike.

I will also probably be rooting for the Eagles. My younger brother is a big Eagles fan. Plus Chiefs fans bug me. It's not much, but it is enough to give me a direction to lean on Super Bowl Sunday.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted