1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Severance did this kind of storyline with Burt and Irv.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I thought the Severance one was really well done.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Curious - how is The Last of Us different from The Walking Dead?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hm, at least through two video games... It's similar in tone, but society hasn't collapsed quite as much. There are still cities, although they're mostly military zones with strict rules. Large portions of the country are otherwise overrun by outlaw gangs and fungus-based zombies, but it feels less crapsack than TWD. It's also largely about the relationships between a much smaller group of characters, whereas TWD seemed to rotate the cast pretty frequently. TLoU the show has already deviated from the games in some ways, to further expand backstories for characters, so it's unknown if it's a 1-to-1, game to season ratio. It seems unlikely to go past two or three seasons though, given that its on HBO and there isn't a ton of source material to pull from.

The show is also by the guy who did "Chernobyl," which had pretty near perfect reviews from critics and audiences. TWD had its roots more in pulpy comic book kind of stuff.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

fungus-based zombies are the worst.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Heh ... my grandmother told me that 57 years ago.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode and, as usual, had trouble figuring out who the different characters were and what they were doing. I wondered how different it was to "The Man in the High Castle." I'll probably keep watching because everybody is raving about it.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Episode 3. Nick Offerman. Incredible.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They're not zombies.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, I think Station Eleven is a better comp to TLOU than the Walking Dead.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That's why I called them fungus-based, because I couldn't remember what term the game uses. (Looking it up now, it seems like "the infected.") But, they pretty much act like what we commonly know as zombies, with transmission via spores instead of bite.

Draft saved Draft deleted