1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This had to have been an expensive show to make - it's a project from the guy who did Modern Family, and the cast has Paul Reiser, Judy Greer, Key, Johnny Knoxville, Rachel Bloom... Even if it's mostly a "traditional" sitcom shot on existing sets, that's probably a ton of money shelled out for talent. For similar reasons, I think that's why Mr. Mayor got the axe - Ted Danson and Holly Hunter don't come cheap, produced by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock - but Young Rock probably stuck around. (That one pretty much has Rock and Randall Park "acting" for less than five minutes an episode, and everyone else in the cast, you've never heard of.)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not to mention they only shot eight episodes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed.

However, EW has learned that Levitan, who served as both executive producer and showrunner, hopes to shop his show around to other networks, so perhaps audiences haven't seen the last of Reboot.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It built a world very quickly and was a funny, well acted and smart show. Hopefully it finds a home.

garrow likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Definitely wasn't trying to call you out specifically. Just keep hearing the term used loosely and incorrectly in content relating to the show. Infected is correct, as they're live hosts who are infected with the fungus. Though the show is throwing in the wrinkle of the dead host seemingly being able signal others through the fungus network, which wasn't a thing in the game (spores spreading the fungus was) but apparently is a thing in the real fungi world. Anyway, very excited to see next week's episode with Melanie Lynskey, one of my favorite actors.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm mostly a fan of the shorter amount of episodes for dramas, but for traditional comedies, I definitely think some of these shows would benefit from the more traditional 20+ episode run. Like, "That 90s Show" was ending right as it gained momentum to me. I'm not sure if "Reboot" had that kind of legs, since it was more tightly wound, but I'm positive they could have done like 13 of them.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I heard that the primary reason they made the change for the show is they didn't want people wearing gas masks most of the time, which is apparently how it goes in the game.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Showtime was always more accessible than Cinemax for boobs back in the day, right?

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

HBO : Playboy
    Showtime : Penthouse
    Cinemax : Swank

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

King of the Hill returning on Hulu.

That show was right up my alley. They also had a great marketing campaign in Manhattan many years ago — on the side of coffee carts was a picture of Bobby which said “My father said I can live here after he’s dead and buried”.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Got 3 free months of Apple TV and looking for shows to watch. My brother sent over some - is he missing any? Is he wrong? :) Keep in mind I don't plan (currently) on keeping it once my free time ends, so not sure if I want to watch something in which future seasons will be coming out. But maybe that doesn't matter.

Anyway, his list (in no particular order): Mythic Quest, Morning Show, Severance, Ted Lasso, The After Party, The Greatest Beer Run (movie not a show, I know).

Thanks for your service in helping me waste my free time.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted