1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This was my reaction exactly.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

George Santos says he wants to pause his committee assignments until some of his issues are resolved.

I think it’s only a matter of time before he leaves congress to accept a position as official Trump biographer.

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Star Man-

It feels so long ago now (just a few weeks pre-pandemic), but as I recall we were chastised that Bryant's indiscretions were off limits.
    Sort of like it never happened.
    And kind of like 1/6/21.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

How long before Trump confuses George Santos with George Soros?

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just had to about bite my tongue off to keep from saying something I couldn't walk back to a good friend (old guy).
    He was talking to me about not being able to get the parts to fix a boiler from the 1970s that heats a building from the 1950s.
    He started on about supply chain issues, then went into "As long as we've got a government that pays people not to work, you can't get anything."
    Or just maybe, in 2023 Lowe's doesn't keep a big supply of repair parts for a 50-year-old freakin industrial boiler that steam heats a building.

6. Neutral Corner

With regard to the NY AG taking up the case of Trump's paying hush money to Stormy Daniels, this is an excellent explainer on why they backed off in the first place.

Bill Barr doing the dirty work to cover Trump's ass, basically.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or maybe Murrican industry shipping off all manufacturing to one country an ocean away wasn't the smartest idea?

OscarMadison, garrow and Driftwood like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Desantis trolling Trump:
    "I got re-elected."
    Unleash the Truths in 3, 2, 1.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Grifters gonna grift.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

N.Y. attorney general seeks sanctions against Trump and his legal team

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...seeks-sanctions-against-trump-his-legal-team/

"NEW YORK — Attorneys working under New York Attorney General Letitia James on Tuesday asked a judge overseeing the office’s $250 million fraud lawsuit to sanction Trump parties and their attorneys for “falsely” denying facts in recent court filings and rehashing “frivolous” arguments.

James’s team filed a major civil enforcement action against Donald Trump, three of his adult children, the family business and other executives there in September, alleging a deliberate fraud aimed at deceiving lenders and insurance brokers, giving the impression that Trump’s wealth was worth more than it really was. The Trump parties also allegedly undervalued his assets in order to reduce tax labilities.

In a letter to New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron on Tuesday, Kevin Wallace, senior enforcement counsel at the AG’s office, said the Trump side repeatedly denied reality in their set of official court filings last week and did not learn from past admonishments made by Engoron over the repeated use of “frivolous” arguments.

“A cursory review of the [filings] reveals that a number of the denials are demonstrably false and actually contradict sworn statements by the Defendants in other proceedings,” Wallace wrote.

Lawyers for the AG’s office pointed to sworn testimony in other recent proceedings, including a deposition in another lawsuit from Trump himself, that contradicts some of what the Trump attorneys claimed in their written formal responses to the lawsuit. Trump lawyers, according to the letter, quibbled over the AG’s references to the “structure of the Trump Organization,” which is an improper argument, the AG said.

Trump attorneys also rejected that he was president of the company during a stretch of time that included his U.S. presidency, which Trump’s own testimony in an unrelated civil case contradicted, the letter said. The AG’s request also noted that Eric Trump, who along with his siblings Donald Jr. and Ivanka served as an executive at the company, denied through the filing that Seven Springs, a Westchester, N.Y., family property, was purchased in 1995 for $7.5 million even though he admitted it previously.

Engoron scheduled a hearing Wednesday morning to address the AG’s requests. The judge recently admonished the Trump side for other uses of meritless arguments and considered sanctions but did not impose any. “It does not appear that this point was taken, however, and [the AG’s office] would ask the Court to renew the issue,” Wallace’s letter said.

Alina Habba, one of Trump’s attorneys, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the AG’s letter.

Attorneys for Trump were sanctioned recently in another matter. A federal judge in Florida sanctioned Trump’s legal representatives, hitting them with a $1 million fine for a presentation of frivolous and baseless claims in a lawsuit against Hillary Clinton.

After the sanctioning, Trump lawyers withdrew lawsuits against James in Florida and New York."

Draft saved Draft deleted