1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Nov 25, 2013.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Victor Kiam and then James Busch Orthwein, who almost moved the team to St. Louis.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'm not altogether sure yet how I feel about Springsteen's new album of covers, but if he - and the music - are going to sound this good (especially through headphones), it's going to get a fair shot from me.

Besides, he can do whatever he wants. I imagine we'll be hearing "new" songs from Bruce's catalog 25 years after he's gone. Though, of course, let's hope that's not anytime soon.

4. Webster

I think it’s a decent karaoke version of a schmaltzy song. I really don’t understand why a guy with hundreds of unreleased songs is putting out this dreck.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm getting a Michael Buble vibe from that which isn't a good thing considering he's played so many killer covers onstage.

Webster likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Karaoke is exactly what came to mind for me.

The band sounds very good. Bruce does a perfectly good job with it. But what's the point?

I've always thought if someone is going to record a cover it should either (a) bring something unique to the song or (b) be a relatively obscure song that most of your listeners may not know. This is neither.

Webster likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bruce Willis can't talk anymore so he stole Springsteen's body.

8. Webster

Haven’t listened to the interview with Stern yet, but this was pretty good.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ryan Adams (I know, I know) has covered “Nebraska” — my favorite Springsteen album because I’m a Sad Dad— in its entirety. His cover of Taylor Swift’s “1989” album was inspired. I’m not as big a fan of his take on “Nebraska” or his take on Dylan’s “Blood on the Tracks” that he released at Christmas time.

He will now be covering Oasis’ “What’s the Story” in its entirety.

I think his newer albums, while he remains a social pariah, have been quite good. The gimmick of covering all these albums has worn thin, though.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve got the bleediest of nosebleed seats, eye level with the Canadian flag. But I’m in for the Atlanta show and twitching like a kid on Christmas morning. First show.

Neutral Corner, UNCGrad and Webster like this.
  12. Webster

I debated flying down tomorrow as flights are reasonable and prices are dropping, but couldn’t swing it. Enjoy!

Draft saved Draft deleted