1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The exact moment that Jason Whitlock stopped mattering

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thrilla_in_Vanilla, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

oof, etc

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pretty solid takedown

Azrael likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, like Durant, Whitlock needs to pick better teammates.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever find out what happened in the Clay Travis-Whitlock breakup? Those two seem perfect for each other.

Azrael likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Travis has a strict No Fedora policy.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's fair, and aggregates a lot of what's been posted here.

Good to see Pearlman doing some reporting and getting some quotes to bolster his point. He called some people - something Jason Whitlock only rarely ever bothered to do. And never does at all now.

Pearlman (probably wisely) stays away from Whitlock's recent / convenient conversion to the kind of Christianity that renders his crypto-fascist politics uncriticizable.

Pearlman does Whitlock the further courtesy of mentioning the unmentionables without really mentioning them. The loneliness, self-isolation and he-man self-loathing make for a pretty toxic cocktail.

I wish Jason well, but he needs an intervention.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When I first came here, Whitlock was regularly mentioned as one of the best columnists in the country, although that was a polarizing take. The Star sports section with Whitlock, Pos, Eli Saslow and Jeff Passan was called the best in the country. (It's possible with Saslow and Passan that one replaced the other, I forget exactly.)

The columnists (Whitlock, Pos) have kind of found themselves in the wilderness, although I think Pos in on book number whatever. The Paterno book hurt him a lot at the time. Saslow is one of the best takeout writers in the country. Passan still writes on occasion.

The trajectory for all involved is just... interesting.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That last graf quoting Stan Verrett? My goodness what an epitaph.

Webster and wicked like this.
  10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Everyone should have this policy.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Forgot they were all together at or near the same time until you posted this. The trajectory has been versatile, if nothing else.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted