1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Romo's dick trick grew stale after one season.
    Most longtime quarterbacks could identify a run or a pass by looking at the coverage.
    He was trying to predict the plays (a 50/50 proposition) because he didn't know WTF else to say.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing I should have added. Brady never had to play loaded wagons like the Giants with LT, the Bears with the 46 defense and Joe Gibbs' Washington teams just to get to the Super Bowl. His Pats had to beat Peyton Manning's teams and that was about it as far as AFC peers went.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Oh. I know the Vet was a dump. What I'm saying is having a shiny new toy not far away in Baltimore helped speed up the Phillies' quest for a new stadium. Lots of folks from the Philly area went to games at Camden Yards early on. I was one of them. Some think Philly still messed up by not having the baseball stadium closer to city center.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jalen Hurts is the best of an undistinguished lot

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If they're going to make the Pro Bowl Games "games" - why not format it like Superstars. And finish it off with the tug of war at the 50. Winning conference gets an extra 50k, per man.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can we all admit there is a BIG difference between having a second-round grade and being drafted in the second round? Teams find a way to justify moving a QB in the first round, simply because they need a qb and they'll have cap-certainty for five years - also throw in the attrition rate of QBs as the season goes along.

dixiehack and Tighthead like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

There are a lot of flops on that list. But I daresay there are just as many flops on the drafted in the first round list. Also, Kaepernick had his moments, Henne still has a job, and Garoppolo, Smith, and Carr are going to get rich or richer this offseason.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Andy Dalton has had a nice career and Drew Stanton was a backup for a decade

wicked likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Also ... if they had gone back 25 years, they would have had to include Drew Brees – a second-round pick of the Chargers in 2001 – which would have shot this crap down faster than a ... balloon.

Fred siegle and Twirling Time like this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ahem . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

My very bad.

Fred siegle and BTExpress like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

A random sampling of QBs taken in the first round in drafts from 2006 on. Vince Young, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, JaMarcus Russell, EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden (the last three all taken by the Browns). There are many more first than second round flops or guys who become respectable journeymen backups because there are never 32 competent or better NFL QBs at the same time. It's a hard job.
    PS: From 1936 to 2010 (an arbitrary figure I picked to limit arguments about current or recently retired players) there were 74 NFL drafts and 6 AFL drafts, a combined 80. Of the 80 overall first picks in those drafts, 16 are in the Hall of Fame (insert Eli arguments here). That's one out of every five, a kind of low percentage seeing as how almost every draft, 90 percent or better, has at least one player make Canton. Drafting is hard, too.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted