1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Out of the guys on that list, three (including Hurts) have started Super Bowls, two others have started playoff games, and two more are still in the league as backups. One of the backups will be in uniform for the Super Bowl next week and actually helped his team get there.
    I think that's probably about as good a hit rate as first-rounders have.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God help me, I'm watching the Pro Bowl here and there and ... it's actually not too bad for what it is?

Dropping the pretense of it being an actual game, and it being more of a goofy mix of 7-on-7 and a skills competition helps a lot. It seems like the players' alpha-male competitive streaks are coming out, where you can see that they're the types of people who hate to lose at anything. They're arguing calls and getting excited when they score. The skills competitions between games are kind of fun and showcase the linemen and special teams guys.
    Having linemen plow through breakaway walls on the first leg of an obstacle course relay was funny. One of them ran through the damn thing like he was the Juggernaut.
    Jason Myers shanking a field goal during the kicking competition and McAfee asking, "Is that Brett Maher?" was tremendous.
    If this was the NFL equivalent of Battle of the Network Stars and not labeled the "Pro Bowl" I think it would be received a lot better. As off-week time-filler and background noise it's strangely appealing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good thing they went to this format to avoid injuries.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Under the NFL's new personal conduct policies, Stefon Diggs might get a two-game suspension for this.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm sure the NFL will find a way to run this thing into the ground in a couple of years and suck all of the goofy, quirky fun out of it. Or the players will get tired of it the same way they did the old format. But this new format for the Pro Bowl is great. They stumbled onto something here.
    I'll go as far as to say it might be the best format of any current all-star game.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I’m an FSU alum in Kansas City. No one here claims it as their original creation. The in-stadium recording of the Warchant is of The Marching Chiefs.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It wasn’t so long ago that he and Brittany were sitting in recliners and checking out big screens in Nebraska Furniture Mart commercials. At least he’s still repping Community America Credit Union and HyVee locally.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I miss HyVee. Giant Eagle just doesn’t measure up.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Your first problem is pronunciation. It's Giant Iggle. You've been there long enough to know that! :)

wicked and Regan MacNeil like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted