1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I emitted unladylike cackles at Cunk on Earth. Actual academics patiently explain the way things work(ed) to fictional presenter, Philomena Cunk. If you're the kind of person who gets ragey over jokes about potatoes and DNA, you will not have a good time.

garrow likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are the academics in on the joke are are they being Borat'ed?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I suspect they know it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the extent to which the joke goes was jarring to one professor in the episode I saw. This is not the wink and a nod that marked Terry Jones' documentaries.

The level of questions were similar to some of the queries I heard from concerned parents after they found out I didn't dig up dinosaur bones in college.

Wenders and TigerVols like this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It’s depressing to see a COPD commercial with a soundtrack of All Right Now

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they kept some of the events from Pittsburgh and have even added to the story so far.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's become very obvious that Costner has dialed back on shooting because he's appearing in fewer and fewer scenes as the series goes on and the ones.

Must be nice to be able to walk away from $1.3 mil an episode because your sticking point is wanting to work only one week instead of six

They could easily continue the current version of the show and either just kill him off and focus on the kids and the fight to control the ranch or keep him alive and just don't show him but speak of him -- ie he's doing governor things, he off buying horses, whatever.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They did, yes. I'm definitely not one who wants a beat-by-beat recap of the video game. If I wanted that, I'd play it again. I think they're doing a great job of adding depth and humanity to the characters.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Beyond Costner, Paramount also fucked up initially because they sold the streaming rights to NBC / Peacock. As a result, it's almost certain that any continuation would be a rebranding, so they can take control of that aspect.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I only know bits and pieces about the game and I doubt I will ever play it, but I agree. They can focus on different things in a show than the game, though it seems as though the source material did a decent job developing the characters, too.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's cutting back on his hours there because he's also working on "Horizon", his new film on the expansion of the American West, both pre- and post- Civil War. It's a "passion project" he co-wrote, is directing, acting in, producing and financing at the same time that Yellowstone is in production.

This will either pay off big for him or really hurt. He's breaking one of the cardinal rules of Hollywood: "Never make a movie with your own money."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted