1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good song by Oasis. Took me time to warm up to it but it grew on me. Maybe chicken and waffles -- together -- will too.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You worked in newsrooms? Seriously?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Next time you're out there - Roscoe's, my friend.

The original is in Long Beach.

X-Hack likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In the breakfast bread triumvirate, waffles are great.

I'm going:
    1. Waffles
    2. French Toast.
    Distant 3. Pancakes.

The best thing about waffles? They seem fancy, but they're basically self-cooking. Mix up the batter, and the waffle iron will tell you when it's done. There's no equivalent gadget for French Toast or Pancakes. My kid is so impressed by waffle making; I've never really told him how stupid simple it is.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is there a competition for Karen of the Year I am unaware of?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was staying right around the corner from it last year. Walked in one day. Busy. Walked out. Likely went to the Korean joint next store. Or to 7-Eleven.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It seems to me we are arguing on two separate planes.

If you ask someone, "Are you AWARE of a stereotype that exists regarding black people and fried chicken/watermelon?" the great majority will answer "yes."

But that does not mean that hearing that fried chicken and watermelon is being served at, say, a picnic automatically makes you think, "Black food!!" Younger people, especially, are far enough removed from the days of those images us old people grew up with that for many it just wouldn't register.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Likely true.

But the part I bolded is the problem with that Aramark menu.

Ignorance of these racist tropes and stereotypes - however that ignorance came to be - helps perpetuate them.

OscarMadison and BTExpress like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Exactly what I've been preaching for years...if you vote Republican, you are a racist. There's no two ways about it.

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This has more than a whiff of "He who must not be named!" to it. Suppose one is not ignorant of the fried-chicken-and-watermelon thing and nevertheless continues to drop by Kroger many an after-church afternoon for an 8-piece box of fried chicken and a small tub of cubed watermelon. Is one ipso facto perpetuating the trope/stereotype? I think not. And if that is not the case ... how can one who is ignorant of the thing be guilty of perpetuating it?

Azrael likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A Kroger run for the family =/= Aramark making an unannounced meal substitution on Feb. 1.

Also, why is it that the people who want to “celebrate” Black History Month with a special menu have never heard of Caribbean cuisine?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted