1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2023-2-8_17-57-18.png

Always a good option. Never disappoints.

YMMV

2muchcoffeeman and Matt1735 like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First, I now want chicken tenders.

Second, no judgement if you aren't a fan. I just thought dissing chicken and waffles in LA was sort of like saying Pinks is overrated.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Not everyone knows every stereotype, or, if they do, it might not matter to them. Not everyone lives life thinking the worst of people, or lives in a world where such ridiculous (especially now) connections would mean anything, or even exist.

In the days after the Tiger Woods/Fuzzy Zoeller/fried chicken controversy, there was a slew of stories, articles and explainers regarding exactly what the connection was, and why it mattered. Why do you think that was? Because plenty of people didn't get it, and not because they were racists.

A problem with its menu probably should have occurred to Aramark, though. It is a large business entity presumably concerned with customer service, as well as its own image and general public relations. I'll have to ask my brother about it. He's a pretty big big-wig there. If I get any insight regarding what did or didn't go on with all this, I'll post about it.

4. WriteThinking

This is a good post, but makes my point, and has the two conflicting points in the last two paragraphs themselves. It may seem impossible that racism isn't involved, but it really isn't impossible.

5. WriteThinking

But it wouldn't, necessarily, if there was no willful intention, and if others realized that and didn't choose to bring it up as such. The element of willfulness has to be there to in order to raise things to the level of racism. There may be naivete or stupidity involved, sure. But real racism is knowing, intentional and intractable.

We've had experience with it and encouragement of it in recent years with Trump supporters.

6. WriteThinking

You are right regarding Zoeller's comments of 1997. I made a mistake. But my thoughts on all the comments were the same as yours -- that Zoeller definitely was being demeaning (although I still think people wondered what the issue was; like, they got that there was something going on, but weren't sure what) and I was willing to give Garcia some benefit of the doubt for his 2013 stuff, just because he probably knew that Woods did, in fact, just like fried chicken. (Once again, a lot of people were unaware/wondering/confused at the time as to the issue regarding blacks and fried chicken, and the explainers were everywhere).

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe you could shut up. Shutting up is good.

Fred siegle and Spartan Squad like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Being kind is gooder.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So your argument is that this isn't racist if these girls don't know it's racist?

St. Hubert's students responsible for blackface video will be disciplined, Archdiocese of Philadelphia officials say

Students' Blackface Video Sparks Investigation by Archdiocese of Philadelphia

https://www.inquirer.com/news/phila...huberts-high-school-archdiocese-20230207.html

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think the argument is that something can be racist even though the person doing it doesn't know, but the person doing it isn't being a racist. I mean, if a Martian who'd only seen Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer thought singing in blackface was what Earthlings do and did that as a "Howdee!" on arrival, the performing in blackface would still be racist, but we wouldn't convict the Martian of being a racist just because of that.

WriteThinking and Azrael like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not saying otherwise.

And I'm not looking to indict individuals as racists.

But the idea that ignorance inoculates against racism doesn't hold.

OscarMadison, Fred siegle and wicked like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think we're also describing pretty accurately the tension between active racism and passive racism.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted