1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the Afterparty. Stellar cast. Lots of fun in my favorite genre: comedy-mystery. Eagerly await the second season.

Webster likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The lyrics to the fake Franklin musical on Poker Face tonight were genius.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Q. How do you wake up Lady Gaga?

A. Poker Face.

(Blame Alexa.)

Spartan Squad likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"But Costner has done it before - and done well."

True. If he even approaches the success of "Dances With Wolves", it will be a gold mine for him. He''s apparently been turning this concept over in his head for a long time and knows exactly what he wants to do with it. That's still a lot of hats for one guy to wear, which points back to why his Yellowstone participation has gone so minimal.

Hollywood history is littered with people who lost their ass financially trying to do it though, which is why it's unusual anymore. It tends to be either people without the reputation and connections to get their film financed or to be "passion projects" beloved of the person who wants to make the film but judged risky by investors. They're fine when they work but the track record says that they're risky.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of his own cash he put into Postman or Wyatt Earp - my guess is he was so big at the time, it wasn't much - but you look at Swing Vote, Hatfields and McCoys, The Bodyguard, Open Range, some of the other smaller movies and TV projects - he has a very solid track record.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

'Rsboot' was so far much its own ass it was ridiculous. The comedy and jokes were so broad. Nothing clever about it.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Last of Us ep 5, I’m wrecked. Just emotionally devastating on so many levels.

Spartan Squad and qtlaw like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I haven’t watched it yet but I think I know exactly why, and that means they wrapped up that story in just an episode.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For all of the action, to me the entire episode was about Ellie and Sam, and Ellie being able to be a kid in a horrible world. Yes, she's older than Sam, but they completely bonded over the same things and that gave her just enough hope that when it's all taken away from her at the end with Sam's death, she's utterly and completely broken. The emptiness in her when she tells Joel, "let's go," is just heartbreaking. She thought she could save Sam. It's such a key moment because it's forms much of what Ellie will become in the rest of this season and beyond.

Couple of other quick notes ... for those who haven't played the game, a shiv to the neck is actually the best way to kill a clicker, as it takes several bullets to take one down where as a runner will go down immediately with one shot. That's why it's better to go the stealth route and try to catch them from behind before they hear you and attack. And the bloater? It's basically instant death in the game if you get caught up by one, so they were being pretty faithful to the canon in that regard. Yes, if you're killed by one, they'll either rip your head off or (at best) pull your face apart at the eyes. Good times.

I thought the decision to make Sam deaf was pretty brilliant and added another level to the narrative. He is not deaf in the game.

Roscablo, Spartan Squad and qtlaw like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Druckmann talked about that in the after video. How pissed he was he didn’t make that character choice in the game.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the life of me I don’t know how people can watch shows like this. (I’m not criticizing posters on this thread, I’m just saying I’d rather gurgle battery acid).

OscarMadison and PCLoadLetter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted