1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Besides being the first #metoo perp, God sounds like an asshole more than anything.

Adam and Eve’s Separation from God

• What physical and spiritual changes occurred in Adam and Eve as a result of their transgression?
    Because Adam and Eve had eaten the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the Lord sent them out of the Garden of Eden into the world. Their physical condition changed as a result of their eating the forbidden fruit. As God had promised, they became mortal. They and their children would experience sickness, pain, and physical death.

Because of their transgression, Adam and Eve also suffered spiritual death. This meant they and their children could not walk and talk face to face with God. Adam and Eve and their children were separated from God both physically and spiritually.

Chapter 6: The Fall of Adam and Eve

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s the Force?

3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

In pop-culture terminology, I suppose that's pretty close. Laotzi, the philosopher credited with founding Taoism, is supposed to have lived in the 6th century BC, or 2600 BL -- before Lucas.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Mr._Graybeard

Another way to look at it -- Western religion sees God as a kind of cosmic watchmaker. In eastern philosophy, the watch IS God.

5. Mr._Graybeard

Interesting. Exploring that a bit further -- animals other than man don't know right from wrong. They don't wear clothes, either -- unless people dress them up. Yet they experience pain, sickness and death. What did they do to piss God off?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Old Testament G*d is an angry, insecure teenager.

maumann and Mr. Sluggo like this.
  7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

God has no reason to be angry. My mother told me that recently and I thought it was spot on for someone deep in the thickets of dementia.

8. Mr._Graybeard

Yabut, certain men can profit if they convince others that God is angry.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fire and brimstones never go out of style.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Sinners In The Hands of An Angry Alms Collector.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you'd been writing Him when those books were written, there's a good chance you'd have written Him that way, too.

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  12. Mr._Graybeard

So the Bible (and God?) are creations of mankind then. I'm sure the recent earthquake in Turkey would have created a few chapters on the supreme being's righteous wrath back in the day. Someone on this board just pondered whether it was retribution for the invasion of Ukraine.

Draft saved Draft deleted