1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Can’t put the ball on the ground. Certainly not without getting hit. He gave the other team seven points when his team had the ball. That’s kind of like giving them 14. Especially the way the Eagles were moving the ball in the first half. Take that play away and it might be a blowout. So yes, I’m serious. I don’t care how well the guy played the rest of the game, that play pretty much negates it all. And he would tell you that.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As has been noted here by others, the officials had let a lot more contact by defenders on receivers and not thrown flags. Then they throw one for much less contact in a situation where it totally decided the game, by eliminating Philly's chance to have the ball last with a ghost of a chance of scoring. That inconsistency is the worst part of the whole deal. It was a choke job. There were more than a few of those by officials in the postseason.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Horrible call that cost the Eagles their last chance. Which, with about 90 seconds and a timeout left and the way the game was going, was a very good chance.
    It's certainly not the only reason they lost.
    I said it going into the fourth quarter that it felt like they should have been up about 20 points instead of six. The fumble return TD was a gift. They didn't take advantage of a couple of opportunities to drive home the stake, which is what you have to do with Mahomes. They couldn't stop the Chiefs at all in the second half and blew a 10-point lead.
    Reminds me a lot of Super Bowl 39, when the Eagles largely outplayed the Patriots for about 2 1/2 quarters and pissed away some chances to take over the game. Same thing here.
    Maybe it's having finally won one a few years ago that has dulled the diehard side of me. Maybe it's just the fatalistic nature of seeing this franchise find a way to come up just short 98 times out of 100. Maybe I'll be pissed at the refs a month or a year from now. But I kind of saw this coming with the way the game was unfolding. I'm disappointed, but not fuming mad. It should have never gotten to that point. The Eagles had every opportunity to make sure it didn't get to that point. Can't solely blame the officials when you need to blame yourself first.

wicked likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean, 5 since starting at noon, maybe. 5 since the game started, I wouldn't say "only." I also won't have 5 in a month.

5. Michael_ Gee

You dig the hole deeper and deeper. That is just crazy. If the Eagles had lost 38-14 or 38-21 maybe you'd have a point, but Hurts gave his team every chance to win the game. He didn't get a last chance because it was taken away from him. Nobody on offense on either side deserves anything but unvarnished praise and admiration. The defenses, on the other hand...

JC likes this.
  6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

As Joe Posnanski said on Twitter, Bradshaw is now basically Fred Willard from Best in Show.

In the joy of the moment I doubt Reid heard it or cares but Bradshaw telling him to "waddle on over" was just a remarkably shitty thing to say.

wicked and PCLoadLetter like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I equate it to the INT that Kurt Warner had in Cardinals-Steelers. Returned for a TD before the half. As great as Warner played in that game, that pick played a major role in the loss.

bigpern23 and Roscablo like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Every missed downfield pass would have been on target if thrown by Hendon Hooker. He’s the most accurate deep thrower I’ve ever seen.

9. Michael_ Gee

Those Pats were a better team than those Eagles. Best of all the Brady Super Bowl champ teams IMO. These two teams were equal. Game was going to come down to a play at the end. Had a Chief made it instead of an official, I wouldn't feel bad about the game at all.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Works in college, or at least the SEC. Even better if you slightly underthrow it so the receiver comes back into the contact before the defender can turn his head. They live to throw those flags.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s asinine. Hurts was arguably the best player on the field and put up 35 points.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Like giving them 14

Draft saved Draft deleted