1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Seriously? What two plays in the game were bigger? What one was bigger than either?

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Both can be true that the Hurts fumble was very consequential to the Eagles in a one-possession game, and that a weak call didn't give the Eagles another shot that they probably earned.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once again, you cannot blame a game decided in the last 10 seconds on one play in the second quarter. It's nuts. The Eagles' inability to stop Kansas City in the second half was their fatal flaw, not one fumble. That was Mahomes plus Reid and Bieniemy bamboozling the Eagles' defense on play after play.

jojoblack and Batman like this.
  4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The two wide-open TD passes with no one on the defense even on that side of the ball probably hurt more than the fumble. But they are all bad for the Eagles. I'm guessing the Chiefs gave up a few they'd like back too, but don't think about it as much because they won.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody believes in the Chiefs.

6. Michael_ Gee

Let's remember that after the fumble, Hurts led the Eagles to a two-score halftime lead. Was the fumble more important than the lousy punt/great return that set up a Chiefs TD? Or as Roscablo noted, those hilariously open TD passes? No, of course not. This is just the age old deal of deciding that a loss has to be the losers' best player's fault because he wasn't perfect.

I Should Coco, HappyCurmudgeon and JC like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Only thing worse than that call is Berman foghorning on ESPN right now.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

I imagine Sneed is pretty happy no one is discussing his defense on Smith's catch.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's why I didn't bet it this time. Didn't like it at only +450 and was hoping for something like +600 or so. I can't remember what it was the last couple of years when I did play it, but it seems like it was a bit better than +450. Figured I could find another $5 to better spend that money on.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

he was in the moment he won the first title.

12. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

The Eagles were leading 14-7 and were moving the ball with ease, dominating the Chiefs defense, which they continued to do for the rest of the half, after which they led by 10 points. That 24-14 lead could easily have been 31-7. Toney's punt return essentially gave the Chiefs another TD. Those weren't the two biggest plays in the game? Please point me to the ones that were (discounting the weak-ass call at the end, which was not a play).

That's 57 Super Bowls, 54 with the team in the black in turnover margin winning. In a 3-point game, a fumble-turned-touchdown, when you're not even touched by a defender, is as bad as it gets. Hurts played a great game. Lots of nice stats. Those stats got him zilch. That fumble cost him a trophy. I can't believe this is even an argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted