1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The problem with this is assuming the Eagles score on that possession and that the rest of the half plays out as is. You have no idea. Especially that early in the game. If it was a walkoff fumble return it is a different discussion.

Maybe the Eagles offense stalls on that possession and the Chiefs score on their next one and it is the same ball game. Same type of assumption.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s a shame Hurts couldn’t play defence. Totally on him for this loss.

3. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Sure you can. Shit is important no matter when it happens. Give the Eagles a 31-7 halftime lead, which is very conceivable without the play, or even just 24-7, and their defense would have had a lot more breathing room. Take a way a Super Bowl-record punt return to the 5-yard line, which gave the Chiefs a TD (that's two TDs almost without need for their offense, so it's tough to pin this on the Eagles D), and this is a different game. Those two plays turned the tide. One was a great play by the Chiefs. Tip your caps, Philly fans. The other? Just a boneheaded, careless play by a QB who wasn't taking care of the ball -- his No. 1 job.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is like the All-Star Game for absolutist posters.

poindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

What's a good sports-talk melee without some absolutes and assumptions?

Let me get back to this tomorrow, after the Woodford wears off. I'll probably have an entirely different point of view. I'm getting exhausted from going back over all my typos anyway.

JC likes this.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I used to love watching games with my dad. He would find every kind of would of, should of, could of situation in a game and completely change what the score should have been. Again, you are assuming everything plays out exactly the same if that fumble didn't happen. There is no way to know or tell. Maybe the fumble helped the Eagles get their crap together for the 10-point halftime lead.

It is only like the second time a team lost the Super Bowl with a double-digit halftime lead. There is something pretty significant about that too. Like the Eagles D was abysmal in the second half.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fox can’t do any better than Bradshaw for the trophy ceremony? Would it be journalism malpractice to let Rinaldi or Andrews do it? Ask a few softballs, hand over the trophy, don’t be a jackass

Typist Clerk, wicked and poindexter like this.
  8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

He wouldn't be the first to stay on the job longer than he should, but if I was in Bradshaw's family I would probably suggest to him politely that it might be time to just relax and take it easy and let someone else handle the job. He legitimately has difficulty speaking clearly and when he does he rarely makes sense.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

For whatever it may be worth:

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They didn’t get screwed. It was an obvious hold.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

upload_2023-2-13_1-23-11.png
    Wow. Another trophy for the résumé!

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

If' that's the narrative you want to create so be it. Seems a little flawed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted