1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Elon Musk sitting in a skybox at the Super Bowl with GOP Jesus is on brand.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Elon gets us

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Needs to be a SNL sketch.

garrow likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial.

(Cassio, Act 2 Scene 3)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rihanna wasn't paid by NFL last night. She did a very nice halftime show that was completely independent of, and had nothing to do with, the NFL.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Hello, I am an independent investigative journalist and have some questions about your company's practices.

OK, we will cooperate, but only if you publish your stories in our company newsletter.

Deal!

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Was Musk in Murdoch's luxury suite to see if perhaps Rupert was interested in buying part or all of Twitter?

11. The Big Ragu

Probably not. If I was as outraged as Elon Musk is by all of the inacuracy in the media, I would gravitate toward Rupert Murdoch, too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  12. The Big Ragu

BTW @Michael_ Gee It's an excellent question. There have been reports for weeks that Musk has been trying to shop some of his twitter equity. Unless he is willing to take a huge (and I mean massive) loss on what he paid, it can't be a very good sell. Before he bought it, the company was a stagnant, low cash flow business that wasn't going anywhere. But now on top of that, it is saddled with a dangerous amount of debt, he is valuing it it at several times what it is actually objectively worth (if he sticks to the price he paid), and his antics have been eating into the one source of reliable revenue the company even had. We're no longer in a cheap money environment where fundamentals like that don't matter, so the moral hazard needed to find investors who are being pushed into speculative and insane behavior isn't there the way it was a year or two ago, even. Nobody in their right mind is buying his equity. ... except, maybe, for someone like Rupert Murdoch, who has been known to buy things that he loses money on, for ego reasons, not financial reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted