1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a hold, Bradberry admitted it. But it is also true that the crew let some more blatant PI/holding calls go earlier in the game. Inconsistency is the worst sin in sports officiating.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

81 cent bet

Youv'e got more balls than I would posting that!

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Kinda tough to bring the energy when you’re pregnant

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The regular super Bowl blowouts are so distant that most people under 40 have little clue about it.

I believe only four SBs in the 2000s have gone into the fourth quarter where you felt the trailing team didn't have a chance.

1. It was a hold as defined by the rules. We can go back and forth on "letter" vs. "spirit" of the rules all day.

2. I'm surprised there hasn't been some forensic analysis by Eagles fans of every KC offensive lineman on that play to detect holding . . . since, you know, "it happens every play."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Of course it was a foul. But as you said, it wasn't consistent with how the rest of the game had been officiated.

Foul? Yes. But as a deep official, I'm probably not throwing on that.

Fish for whales, not minnows.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't understand any of this. It was a hold.
    Sorry that it's a bummer that the hold call eliminated a potential great finish.
    But it couldn't have been a hold any clearer.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bucs-Raiders, Seahawks-Broncos and Bucs-Chiefs are the only three I can think of.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm slowly coming to the realization that I'm just not going to get some things in modern music.

I recognized one Rihanna song. And I've certainly never considered her a consistent hitmaker.

And yes, I now realize I'm just that out of touch. She's slipped through the cracks with me every step of the way.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Serena won a Grand Slam tournament!

Gotta go back to 2001, Ravens-Giants.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also, we haven't seen a shot of the view the field judge had. Still, yes, it was a foul.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The whole thing with calls like that is, if you're a DB in the final two minutes of the Super Bowl, you don't, you can't give the crew the opportunity to make that call. Hands off.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I’m a Chiefs fan, and was watching the game in a house full of Chiefs fans and a couple of neutrals. To a person, all of us were at first like, “Whoa, not sure about that call.” Then, on the first replay, the guy in our group who knows football best (and who was probably most neutral), points out, “Look, he turned him,” and we were all like, yep, sure did, that’s a good call. So we at least convinced ourselves and enjoyed a great victory by the dominant franchise of the current era against the worthiest opponent in the league.

Holy hell, Jalen Hurts is a good NFL quarterback, and he is still all upside. He’s 100 percent there with Burrow and Allen in rarefied air just a tick below Mahomes.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted