1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of course this is also true. Even if the catch was made (doubtful IMO) the Eagles would still have been better off seven points down with time on the clock than what actually happened. Would've made for a better ending, too.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I thought that was insensitive, and I didn't think I offend easily. I guess I'm alone.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ju Ju came out of nowhere it seems, in the second half. They don't win it without him.

In the same breath, Goddard made a few astronomical catches.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spencer Hall cited the most amazing KC stat. The Chiefs had 21 first downs on 53 offensive plays.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry it sounded that way. Furthest thing from my mind. I'm a huge ONJ fan, have been for 50 years. Committed a major breach of newspaper ethics to get tickets for her concert in 1982 when I was 21. Commercial made me think of her. Have to believe if she were healthy and still with us she would have participated, and it would have been cool.

6. Guy_Incognito

7. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, since the guy held, but Mahomes threw the ball after the holding happened and overthrew the receiver by 10 yards. Yes, it was a penalty but it marred a game in which, for once, officials had no impact whatsoever to that point (except on all the imaginary catch/no-catch BS, on which the rules change with each instance).

Great game. Very entertaining. Knocked down a peg by a call at the end, correct or not.

And I had no rooting interest, right up until the dbag Eagle fans booed Prescott when he received the Payton award. So I didn't mind Philly getting screwed at the end.

Tighthead likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Other thoughts:

• First Eagles game I saw this year. Siriani gives off Adam Gase vibes. Winning and losing sure shapes how we percieve these guys.
    • Anyone else catch Olsen's explanation about how Lane Johnson looks like he's moving early "to the naked eye." Yes, he does, on that play and a couple of others. What is our eye missing?
    • What's so impressive about KC and Mahomes is that they lost probably the best weapon in the league, replaced him with dime-a-dozen guys (despite 3 of them having their post-season moments), and they don't miss a beat. How on Earth did anyone ever cover them with Hill?
    • I think the broadcast fueled much of the outrage over the hold. The first few replays looked like obvious holds that kept the receiver from having a shot at the ball. The last one, from the other side, after Olsen went crazy ripping the call, made it seem like he didn't touch him.
    • I went in to the game really wondering how good Philly actually was, as they hadn't been tested in a long time. They impressed, and as a Cowboys fan, I remain frustrated that they will enter most of their games fr the immediate future at a major deficit at HC.

Webster likes this.
  9. Guy_Incognito

Someone said it before; it's a lot like the end of the Cincy game. Dumb but clear penalty that they have to call, but a shame that it robbed us from a big finish. The end of Dallas-San Fran had a similar feel. The refs are there to do their job, not to write a script. None of us would want them to do the latter.

Webster likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She could have said no (to the halftime gig). Sure, yes - but it's such a spotlight - why not wait another year to to do it when you can kick ass? But mad props for not falling on the platform, I figured it was all green screen when it started - but then saw the safety line. What the hell is a pregnant woman doing on a floating platform 100 feet off the ground? That has to be an OSHA violation.

Speaking of VFX - couldn't they have had Gronk actually kick the ball? That kick was super fake. And if you're going to VFX the thing, why not do a triple - doink?

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I think the Eagles' inability to switch on that receiver motion into the stack with the direction change on the rout robbed us from a big finish.

FileNotFound and poindexter like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She did say no in 2019. Probably wasn't going to get another shot if she passed this time.

As to the condition of the field talked about so often, the reason the halftime show was done by suspended platforms was to protect the grass. So the turf could have been a lot worse.

The Wild Logistics of Rihanna's Super Bowl Halftime Show

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted