1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

On the list of great Super Bowls I'd also include above yesterday's the first New England win, over the Rams, back when everybody actually liked the Patriots. I thought then and still think that was one of the best-played football games I'd ever watched - not a shootout, but that the Patriots found a way to hold down the Rams offense was remarkable.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I keep thinking of how the Eagles accepted a delay of game in the third quarter because they knew timeouts would be so precious, but then later burned one in a similar situation. And there was at least one other time in the second half they should have caught a delay flag. The sideline needed to be quicker getting the calls in.

Neutral Corner and Tighthead like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In retrospect, the Eagles D could have tried to push him out of bounds

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Golf Digest tried to scoop up some Super Bowl pageviews during the week with a story about how this strain of turf was created with R&D dollars from the USGA's turfgrass program. So the Super Bowl is no different from an overcooked U.S. Open setup: Blame the USGA.

Cosmo, I Should Coco, wicked and 5 others like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My biggest memory of that game was the SI cover after. Like I said, I know it was a good game, I just don't remember many details. I'm not taking away from how good it was except it's a blur. I think in 10 years, I'll remember this game as one where both sides made good plays but I won't remember many details. I think it also hurts I don't have much emotional attachment to the game.

But more to the true point, every year since probably 2004, the next week is filled with "this was the greatest Super Bowl of all time" until we get to the next greatest of all time. The lone exception was the Patriots-Rams game that proved to be a major dud. We've been spoiled because the last 15 years have had a lot of decent Super Bowls with just a couple of exceptions.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Interesting. Even if it's a personal foul because he slid, that's just half the distance.

7. Guy_Incognito

Wouldn't he be down the second you touched him though, so you couldn't push him out?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The first Super Bowl I covered was XX. Final score 46-10. Then came XXII. Final 42-10. XXIII was a good game, an excellent one in fact. Then came XXIV. Final score 55-10. In the long decade plus of the NFC win streak, routs were the rule, not the exception. Now, close games are the norm and routs the exception.

9. Guy_Incognito

I think the delay of game was not intentional. Siriani was upset he didn't get a timeout.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If it looks like the tackle is moving early "to the naked eye," shouldn't the linesmen call it? Aren't they watching the game "with the naked eye?" They're not cyborgs.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Darrell Waltrip doesn’t understand what you’re talking about.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Had the Eagles not stopped defending so early, maybe they could have pushed/dragged him into the end zone before he started his slide . . . creating the ultimate bizarro play.

Defense: "Dammit, get into the end zone!"
    Ballcarrier: "No! No! You can't make me!"

Draft saved Draft deleted