1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Everyone keeps saying they didn't call it all game. Did you notice it in real time? Have you seen examples?

2. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

Were they really not calling defensive holding all game? I have no idea. They were not calling anything all game. Which was refreshing. Nobody was complaining much and I doubt the Chiefs would have complained had that one not been called. Last time I remember something like this was Ohio State-Miami 20 years ago. And even in that case, OSU still had to score after it.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There were a combined nine penalties good for 47 yards, or a little over five per play. One was the Eagles' blatant offensive pass interference in the first half where one of the wideouts blocked a guy (great technique, BTW) well past the line of scrimmage before a screen pass was thrown. Only 10 yarder. No PIs of any kind other than that. No defensive or offensive holding until the call. Maybe there wasn't any before then, but that would really make this game historic.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That seems like weak evidence to me. People have combed over each play. Show me the similar ones where they didn't call it. It's like when people point to a gap in free throws and assume that it's unfair. Sometimes one team goes to the basket more. Some teams are more disciplined.

Webster likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Heard some talk about the ads - Ok - if Miller Coors is going to shoehorn three beer brands into one spot - why in the hell didn't they use some of the ad characters from those brands storied past - I don't know what the hell you do with Blue Moon, but a Taste's Great, Less Filling/Coors Light bikini girls would have been Golden. I'm sure there are a few Miller Light All-stars still with us. Right? Uecker would have been enough all by himself.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I noticed the relative lack of calls and analysis I've heard and read afterward confirmed my impression. I'm certain the players were aware that the officials were letting a lot go right up to the point that one of them decided to let his flag put a realistic end to the game.

8. outofplace

Defenders get away with contact like that all the time, not just in that game. It was a weak call, which is a problem in a game during which the officials didn't call much.

9. outofplace

Not calling much is great as long as you don't change course in the final moments and throw a flag for a weak holding call with the game on the line.

10. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

We are on the same page.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. He didn't do the right thing the rest of the game.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

OK - the NFL SB ad - and the Pro Bow - what is the "end game" for flag football and the NFL? How do they make money off of it I mean? Or is the thinking, getting women and girls involved will encourage more moms to let their sons play football and help the league in the end?

Draft saved Draft deleted