1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Through a modern lens.

If that ain't the greatest fucking line.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The "fairy tale" and other smatterings of enlightened commentary notwithstanding, this ...
    ... is simply wrong.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was hoping you (or someone else) would take note of the fairy tale commentary :) . ... It's funny, because I don't do that except when I want to go over the top and be provacative. ... not so much because I don't actually think the bible is a fairy tale, but because without any actual proof one way or the other, I will never "believe" or "disbelieve" something without actual evidence informing me. It just always seemed right to me to be agnostic. The last thing I need to do is a lot of "fairy tale" commentary that pisses off some angry god or Jesus diety that actually gives a shit about the smack I was talking about them. At the same time. ... no, I am not buying into a fairy tale that defies every empirical experience I have had on this earth. :)

You are right, what I said was wrong. But replace my "only" with "usually" (or "nearly always"), and no, I don't think I am wrong.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I try not to be this person, but if CAIR bought Super Bowl ad time inviting people to take a fresh look at the Prophet, I don’t think Azrael is on here giving it the “Ahhhhhhh I don’t know Jim!” Tony Romo treatment.

Somehow this spot has been running for weeks and I have not heard much clapback on here.

I am the first to admit American Christians are sticking their unwanted thumbs in a lot of pies these days. But an ad campaign to provoke public discussion on the character of Jesus is a worthy pursuit to my way of thinking. Compared to looting Iraqi antiquities or buying off Congresscritters, I find it a vast improvement in how Hobby Lobby profits get spent.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I probably would be.

Don't misunderstand. I don't have a horse in this fight. Or a dog in this race. I'm just buy-curious.

A Super Bowl ad buy asking viewers to test-drive Jesus Christ is an interesting point of discussion is all. I don't necessarily object to it.

But in our society the juxtaposition of religion and commerce always feels awkward. And a little political.

Because it is.

add: I also hadn't seen any of the ads before Sunday.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The way I look at it. ... If someone wants to spend millions of dollars "selling" something I find so utterly stupid. ... it's their money. It's funny to me, but I see people spending their money on all kinds of things that provide them with some sort of utility that I personally don't get, so those two ads weren't surprising to me.

Even if they were selling something political, and not a pure "love thy neighbor" Hallmark card. ... so what? It's their money. It's a waste of their money if no one is buying what they are selling (whatever it is they are actually trying to sell).

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The 2023 Super Bowl is the year of Christocurrency.

garrow and Azrael like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why? Seems like an excuse made by humans who wish to interpret it in a way that suits their own ideas.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of the assholes trying to push their hateful bastardization of Christianity on the rest of us need to be properly educated about the "radical love movement."

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Azrael likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ok - Catholic here - and full disclosure - I really don't care what or how people do or don't worship - or not - you do you and all of that. And I've read about the money behind these ads and saying the group is conservative etc. and people shouldn't be "fooled" by the spots' inclusive take on Christianity - my question though - is more how those who count themselves as being Christian, particularly the more conservative types - are taking the ads. Do the ads make them question their beiiefs? Religious? Political? Or their actions? Outside of one hour at church each Sunday? Are they truly living "His" word and following his example?

Draft saved Draft deleted