1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I've been to Hill Cumorah for the pageant. Nothing surprises me.

The Bible as content, as screenplay, is as old filmed entertainment. A BRIEF CHRONOLOGICAL SURVEY OF SOME OF THE MAJOR MOVIES & TV PROGRAMS FEATURING JESUS

Selling Christ himself like a mouthwash or laundry detergent feels new to me.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Worst laundry detergent on the market.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Catholics "sell" the faith by telling people they should feel guilty, not feel any joy, or have any fun - basically tell people "they're not worthy" and they wonder why the church pews are empty.

Mr. Sluggo and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how far into the weeds you want to get, but traditional Judaism believes that from the start, by design, the written Bible was given along with a companion oral tradition (that later became more or less the Talmud), and that it's impossible to properly understand one without the other.

5. The Big Ragu

We know this thing seems ridiculous and unbelievable, what with the giant fish, the flood, the burning bush, the plagues and the insanely long lifespans that somehow gave way to the short, horrible existences that you know. ... so we reserve the right to change it orally when you call BS on us.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Not quite, but OK. Most (but not all) of the oral tradition involves the law sections; not the stories. A given of the story part is a God who created nature, and controls the universe, usually through those rules of nature, but occasionally choosing to intervene in miraculous ways that upend those rules. If you find the idea of a God who can do that ridiculous, then, of course, the entire book - a memoir of His interaction with humanity- will seem equally ridiculous. I'm not looking to convince anyone here; you do you. Someone asked a question, so I answered it.

7. The Big Ragu

I'm the last person to get into a Talmudic debate, I'd sooner study the intracacies of the Harry Potter books and pretend I am discussing it as a scholarly debate.

I realize it is a gross simplification, because whatever I say, someone else can reach into the endless scribblings to find something else and frame the Talmud as something other than what it largely is. ... but yeah, the Talmud really was humans (rabbis) a few centuries later, walking back the unbelievable, unworkable and immoral parts of what god supposedly gave us mortals. Like the bible said, "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth," and they couldn't walk back god's word, so they "interpreted it," to turn it into an eye's worth for an eye. ... where what god really meant was that people should claim commensurate financial compensation for harm done to them. It's basically thousands of pages of things like that.

8. Guy_Incognito

OK, I'm not the last person. I spend far more time and energy on the former, but scholarly debate on Harry Potter also sounds fun.
    It is a gross oversimplification, and I get that it seems that way from the outside. I'd argue that there's good reason to believe otherwise. There are mountains of pages of scholarship about how much of the system is inherited tradition and how much is human initiative, with the rules of the game as the primary inherited / divine element. I can point you to some good summaries or discussions if you want, but again, I'm not particularly interested in winning hearts and minds, so I'm happy to leave it here.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One nice thing about this ongoing discussion ... I mean, in addition to the lectures from the particularly enlightened among us ... is that it prompts me to occasionally take a look into something that turns out to be pretty fascinating. For example, there's some emerging (though admittedly controversial) scholarship re: the writing of Genesis that suggests it was a hashed-together compromise between the priestly set and the landowning set in Jerusalem after the Babylonian Conquest. The argument is the Persians were of the mind to grant Jerusalem a relatively large degree of autonomy so long as the locals could agree to something of a uniform code. Thus there are gathered in one book both "primeval history" (chapters 1-11) and "patriarchical history" (chapters 12-50). Interesting stuff.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted