1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What exactly is Merrick Garland getting paid for?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's the main reason that no other Republican candidate has declared their candidacy. Everyone knee that whoever got into the race first would immediately become a pinata for Trump to beat on.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You ever hear of Jack Smith? You know, the guy who is going after Trump's lawyers, among others, putting them on the spot in front of the grand jury? The guy who last night announced he wanted Evan Corcoran back for further questioning, overriding lawyer client confidentiality based on the crime/fraud exclusion?

Who hired him and gave him the green light? I don't disagree that Garland has been too conservative and passive, but the DOJ investigation has gotten far more aggressive and gained steam after getting the 1/6 committee testimony in December.

Smith is breaking the dam on Trump's stall tactics, and so are a number of federal judges whose patience is exhausted. Garland knew exactly who he put on that case, and if you look at the staff Smith put in place and the cases they worked with him previously it is obvious that things are moving forward now.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Maybe Gaytz assisted the prosecutors. We'll see! Will be wild!!

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They're following a recommendations from investigators from several months ago. Maybe they can't fucking prove it, so a prosecution would be fruitless. You know, like the ones from Trump's appointed special prosecutor?

But yes, Merrick Garland is lazy or something.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The guy cooperating on the Gaetz probe got 11 years.

If that's the best deal he could get, there's some there there.

I find it hard to believe that they don't have enough on Gaetz.

7. Regan MacNeil

It's definitely more plausible that they have prosecutable cases on all sorts of Republicans but are choosing not to prosecute out of cowardice or laziness.

8. Regan MacNeil

Maybe the reason is this would have been their star witness:

garrow and TigerVols like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it's most probable that the cooperating witness didn't have enough/any evidence to support his accusations and the DOJ concluded he wouldn't be credible enough on the witness stand to get a conviction. Or DOJ concluded that the guy was jerking them around from the jump and that's why they landed on him with both feet.
    PS: Posted this before I saw Regan's post. If Marcy Wheeler agrees with my thesis, I regard myself as being on solid ground.

Fred siegle and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Seriously, I feel like a large swath of American people led sheltered lives. TFG’s pathetic attempts at clowning people don’t even rate among most people I know. His ass would have got off the school bus in tears of humiliation every day where I come from. Jeez.

FileNotFound, garrow, Octave and 2 others like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Even more embarrassing is how many people ate this shit up. You can almost see the wheels turning.

"Ron DeSanctimonious!"
    Too many syllables and no one knows what "sanctimonious" means.
    "Meatball Ron!"
    There ya go.

OscarMadison, Slacker and Dyno like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Maybe something to keep an eye on, maybe not. It's not like CNN hasn't ever blown a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted