1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that making such a poor argument has reduced you to that.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

How about this? Olson and Pereira didn't see that angle. The official did.

2muchcoffeeman and MileHigh like this.
  4. outofplace

We don't know what the official saw. In the link, that is speculation based on where he was standing. Even then, it is "almost" the same angle and just because we can see it with the help of technology now doesn't mean it was as clear to the naked eye live at full speed.

More importantly, the argument was never that there was no grab. It was that it wasn't enough to warrant a call, especially after letting things go all game. That's why Bradberry said he thought he could get away with it, because the officials hadn't been making those calls. Please tell me you don't actually think there were no defensive holding or pass interference calls during the first 58 minutes of the game solely because no defender actually grabbed any part of a receiver during that time.

I have no problem with people arguing that it should have been called, but this idea that there isn't a reasonable argument against it is just poin being an ass.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Roscablo likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

I don't know what an official saw or didn't see before that moment, and neither do you or anyone else. I know he saw that and threw the flag.

6. outofplace

You know he saw something and threw the flag, not that he saw exactly what was in that link.

7. Regan MacNeil

That's fair.

8. Brian J Walter

Brian J Walter Well-Known Member

No doubt Mahomes makes some crazy throws, but in that situation, I believe you're throwing it to Option 1 or throwing it away and kicking the field goal. I could be wrong, but Coaching 101 and logic are on my side.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How do you know what Option 1 was? How do you know Option 1 wasn't JuJu? And when you throw it away, you don't throw it where a defender can catch it. You throw it away. Like out of the end zone away. The pass was meant for JuJu. That's why the ball lands in bounds. You fell for the thing that the Chiefs wanted the Eagles to fall for: He is looking right to make you think he's throwing right, but the play was designed to be thrown to the left. Those receivers (unless their defender fell down and they were wide ass open) were never getting the ball.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mahomes was throwing to the very far corner of the end zone, maybe out of the end zone. It was a "my guy gets there or nobody does" throw. IMO, had Bradberry never touched Smith-Schuster, he still can't make the catch, but I admit that's just opinion. Had he made the catch, that too would've been one hell of a possible ending.

11. outofplace

That's the thing. It wouldn't have been the end. The Chiefs still would have had to make a stop. The Eagles still would have had the opportunity to try to tie it up.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree with that. But if as was most likely, the Eagles couldn't do that, then the winning play would've been an under two-minute touchdown, not a call-gifted chip shot field goal to end the game. Far more satisfactory. And if the Eagles had managed to tie it, we're into overtime and it's all super satisfactory no matter what.

Draft saved Draft deleted