1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Paid Russian asset says "What?"

2. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

The succinct biography of Trump's presidency, right here in a nut shell. Well done.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I muted then blocked Elmo. Satisfying.

I didn't have him followed, but still saw his stuff. You know how it is, either it pops up in the feed or someone retweets with a snarky comment. I scrolled past and just ignored it like tons of other crap I just roll by. Then he had software engineers directly insert his nonsense into everyone's feed and that was too much.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So now you have to pay for two-factor authentication?

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Elon Musk: War Profiteer

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No, you can use Authy or Google Authenticator or the like for free. 2FA by text costs the company a fraction of a cent (Twilio rates are .00008 cents per text) so it kinda sorta makes sense to charge for them, I guess.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've never in my life followed Lauren Boebert but damn if every one of her Tweets doesn't pop up on my timeline.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To take this beyond Elon Musk (he is indicative of something bigger right now). A commercial real estate bubble looks to be starting to pop. ... Columbia Property Trust is defaulting on loans left and right in the last month. And that is with just 450 basis points of Fed hiking so far.

There was a read on PCE (the Fed's supposed preferred inflation reading) this morning, and it was hot, hot, hot. They have zero control and are not doing nearly enough. So the fantasy of them having tamed inflation is taking a hit right now. Which isn't surprising, considering how much money is still sloshing around from what they unleashed, chasing too few goods and services.

The problem is, if they actually bring their terminal rate up enough to deal with the inflation that is eating people up. ... it's going to be ugly for the global economy. They created a looming credit crisis if they tank the economy. ... and there is no way out because the rising prices are not going away with just their hopium strategy.

Keep this in mind. ... What is happening with PIMCO / Columbia Property Trust is just a preview of what is looming. You have so much debt that was taken on for more than a decade that was predicated on being able to roll over / refinance that debt in perpetuity at negative rates in real terms. Those debt loads grew bigger and bigger on the back of the distortions. MOST of that debt is still floating at artificially low rates, and won't be resetting until late 2023 to 2025, when there is going to be trillions of dollars of debt that needs to be refinanced -- much of it by entities that are operating as zombie companies; no earnings, no cash flow to service debt at what it should have cost. The world can not afford a terminal rate of 5 percent on their overnight rate, let alone anything higher, which is what it is going to take to tame the inflation tsunami they unleashed.

My best guess. ... having seen their BS play out multiple times. ... is that the nonsensical 2 percent inflation target (when their silly mandate is "stable prices") Ben Bernanke made up and that now gets talked about like it is some sort of scientific matter of necessity (as savers lose money in real terms), is going to get pushed up to a 3 or 4 percent inflation target. And Joe Q. is going to eat shit. We are all going to suffer as our purchasing power gets destroyed. Inflation is a more "hidden" tax than fiscal santity and allowing rates to float in a free market. ... and they are cowards so they always try to inflate away the debt they are responsible for on the backs of all of us. The problem is that there is no reason to believe that they will be able to avoid massive credit defaults (and the economic hit) even as inflation is raging. They sold a free lunch. ... and now they have zero control and are staring at stagflation.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

. . . and as you've said many times, this is how Musk has behaved for years.

The idea that he's going to stiff an individual landlord - as opposed to the entire state of New York for its solar city loans, grants and incentives - isn't really news.

He's a swashbuckler! A captain of industry!

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted