1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BBQ vs. Cheesesteaks: Super Bowl LVII running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 29, 2023.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think this was covered a few weeks ago in another thread.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

A petard is the structure used to hoist the explosive. To better breach a door, the explosion was most effective a few feet off the ground. You might be able to hoist the bomb with your hands, but you would be in danger of being flagged for holding. It really wouldn’t matter if you were trying to set off a primary or secondary breach. It also doesn’t really matter that you had been holding the bomb pretty much all day and a flag wasn’t thrown then.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That still doesn't mean the flag should have been thrown after the officials swallowed their whistles on defensive holding and pass interference all night.

4. outofplace

The petard is the bomb, not the structure used to hoist it into place. Wasn't there a discussion of this on the board recently?

5. outofplace

One side of the argument: Technically it was a hold, but it wasn't enough of a hold to be flagged in that moment after 58 minutes of the officials refusing to call defensive holding or pass interference.

The other side: But look at this evidence that it was technically a hold!

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You use technically derisively and it doesn't work.

You're also assuming facts not in evidence.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Before we beat it any further, can we declare the horse not only merely dead, but most sincerely dead?

[​IMG]

Webster likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We did, which gave birth to my joke which sent us back down this rabbit hole.

9. outofplace

You are wrong on both counts. They didn't call a defensive hold or pass interference the entire game. Even those defending the call admit they blew it on at least one pass interference call earlier in the game. If you really want to argue that the there was no holding anywhere on a pass play the first 58 minutes of that game, I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on.

You can find something that is technically holding on almost every play. That's why it works.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

K. I no longer care. The Chiefs won. I guess we’ll all have to live with you and Gee and others being disappointed.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You would have to be related to a member of the Chiefs' organization by blood or marriage not to have been at least somewhat disappointed by that game's ending. Not the result, but how it came to be.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is ZERO chance of that happening.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted