1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought Trump and the GQP were going to abolish the DOJ and the DOE?

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As long as the latter is true I’m fine but it’s not in the public interest to make these videos public.

5. Smallpotatoes

For some reason that reminds me of this Katie Nolan sketch.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Accosting in the frosting?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"So long as there's no video that will exonerate them, I'm fine with such video being released. But if there is video that will exonerate them, that video shouldn't be released. Because it's not in the public interest for people who should be exonerated to be exonerated." #criticalthinking

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To repeat. If any of this footage was directly exculpatory, it's overwhelmingly like that it would have been introduced by the defense counsel(s) of at least some of the almost 1000 rioters who have been charged with crimes and either been convicted, pled guilty, or are in the midst of or awaiting trial.
    One more thing. McCarthy and Tucker Carlson no doubt got their ideas of reviewing video footage through cop shows where it takes 20 seconds to find what they're looking for. In reality, it's a hugely labor intensive and deadly dull enterprise of looking at hours of nothing to find nanoseconds of what's being searched for. It's ridiculous and outrageous McCarthy gave Carlson access to the footage, but IMO it will fizzle out as a news item for all but the MAGA devout.

9. doctorquant

Don't forget the heavy-duty critical thinkers among the non-MAGA set.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The point of this is to try to show that the siege on the building wasn’t that bad despite what people saw with their own eyes in real time and to build a counter narrative which helps secure McCarthy’s cred with the crazies. I’m all for providing news organizations with access, but Tucker is not a journalist and McCarthy isn’t providing the footage to everyone, just an extremely biased actor.

HanSenSE and Smallpotatoes like this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

They’re terrorists. All of them. Even the soccer moms who stayed between the ropes and took selfies. Treat them like terrorists.

12. doctorquant

Draft saved Draft deleted