1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Amazed it wasn’t TimkenSteel. Again.

Hermes likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Biden should probably make an appearance in Ohio if he hasn't already.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Concrete ties have repeatedly failed. The Boston subway system used concrete ties on a new line opened in the 1980s, and they had to be replaced within 10-15 years. Amtrak had the same issue on the upper half of the Northeast Corridor.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Concrete ties are widely used around the world and are cheaper than most other materials. Railroads also use composite polymer/recycled materials ties and even steel ties.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Then why do they fail here repeatedly? Legit question, no snark intended.

8. goalmouth

Because MBTA sucks.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s not just the MBTA (which does suck). Amtrak had the same issue. We’re America, we fuck things up a lot, I figure we took some shortcuts somewhere that led to the failures.

10. goalmouth

Amtrak still uses concrete ties extensively. I haven't heard of a recent derailment caused just by bad ties. (Which are often called crossties in the trade. To distinguish them from neckties, I suppose.)

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is why the JD Vances win Ohio.

We shouldn't be surprised in 2024 when Joe Biden let it get to this.

I get there are a lot of train derailments and catastrophes all over America every year and that the President can't get to each little town, burg, and hamlet.

But this is one of those times he should have been there. He still might go. But it's too late.

"That was the biggest slap in the face," Conaway said on "Jesse Watters Primetime." "That tells you right now he doesn’t care about us. He can send every agency he wants to, but I found out this morning that he was in Ukraine giving millions of dollars away to people over there and not to uson President's Day in our country, so I'm furious."

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted