1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Just finished first season of Slow Horses: excellent stuff. Best scene: when Taverner shows up at the right-wing MP's house and totally bosses him.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Webster

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I love Succession and also respect not milking it.

garrow likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine it might have been a victim of a big budget cut by the new owners of HBO. No point making Succession on a shoe-string. The opulance - shooting in European castles, on huge yachts, spending a week shooting in New Mexico - is half the shows appeal.

garrow likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Goldbergs are ending this season, its 10th. It goes out like Willie Mays on the Mets, a once enjoyable sitcom that has stumbled for the past three years and is unwatchable except for the nostalgia.

The focus changed when the real Adam Goldberg left as showrunner, then George Segal died and Jeff Garlin left. All of the characters became unlikable and annoying and every storyline was the same -- mom overstepped her boundaries and everyone made up at the end.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  7. Webster

It’s just been such a tired show the past few seasons. You can practically hear the episode checks being cashed.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

HBO is so much better than Showtime on knowing when to end a show. Showtime dragged out Homeland for probably four seasons too long. Shameless was unwatchable after about season 9. I never watched Ray Donovan but I heard it suffered from the same issues.

Succession is fantastic but I think the story will be told after four seasons and I'll be happy to watch it go out on top.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Freely admitted about the pat storyline -- it became a running joke in our house; "It's OK; they'll make up in eight minutes." -- but I feel it only truly jumped the shark with the exit of Garlin. Somehow, he seemed to bring it together.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Showtime won’t let Billions end, either.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well Showtime is Paramount, Paramount is CBS - my goodness how long has NCIS been on?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it slipped when Segal died, and then yeah, it's become really bad with Garlin gone. Without him, there isn't really a balance to Bev's craziness, because everyone else on the show is so damn shrill.

By the way though, the REAL Beverly's Twitter is delightful: https://twitter.com/goldilocks405

Draft saved Draft deleted