1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the most significant problem, that not every child will get that opportunity. Some will be left behind, and because vouchers are siphoning money away from public education, those low-performing schools will be even worse.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of those advanced degrees do have value, such as special education and administration. Schools need strong pools of educators in both of those areas, especially special ed.

The idea is to reward teachers who work to get better at their jobs. The goal of these decisions isn't to eliminate unnecessary degrees. It is to siphon money away from public education.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The same thing will happen Arkansas what happened in Oklahoma — a mass exodus of teachers out of state, mostly to Texas, where vouchers have never gotten off the ground (yet). The Oklahoma deal was strictly about salaries, but Arkansas doesn't pay great either.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

That is what should happen with all of those schools. If they want to build superteams, make them compete in the highest classification.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Careful using the word "most", Icarus. Bring your sites and stats here. Not saying you're wrong, just wrong in my state.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

F*ck off

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is some "camp" where these accidental Republican heroes go to so they can be caught up on all the conspiracies and "bogeymen" they need to gain immediate fluency in.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don’t get the Icarus reference. That is the experience in the NY and NJ are which I am familiar with.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which is precisely the aim

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m good with rewarding teachers who add value to their jobs and get better at them.

I don’t find an absolute correlation between taking online classes or classes in some downtown satellite of a Purdue or Phoenix University, and getting better at the job. Why pay a university money to get a scheduled raise? I have my ideas about how and why those arrangements started, which falls in line with public schools getting free labor from university student teachers in the name of “training you pay for.”

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Camp Murdochalago

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’d argue for reforms before we just axe pay raises tied to advanced degrees like so many states have done. I’m fine with tightening what constitutes a qualifying degree. I know a few teachers whose master’s degrees were a perfunctory hurdle to a pay raise. I also have a friend who has ended up as a superintendent and a sister-in-law whose special education degree completely changed her career path. There has to be a way to separate out those two types of cases without ignoring advanced degrees from pay raises.

Draft saved Draft deleted