1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Of course

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

400 million

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Let's go Brandon!

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You're going to be linked/linking to these all day.

HanSenSE and garrow like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why are young liberals so depressed?

I think the discussion around gender and the role of social media is an important one. But I also don’t believe that liberal boys are experiencing more depression than conservative girls because they are disproportionately hung up on Instagram-induced body image issues — I think there’s also something specific to politics going on.

Some of it might be selection effect, with progressive politics becoming a more congenial home for people who are miserable. But I think some of it is poor behavior by adult progressives, many of whom now valorize depressive affect as a sign of political commitment. The thing about depression, though, is that it’s bad. Separate from the Smith/Levitz project of arguing about recent political trends, I think we need some kind of society-level cognitive behavioral therapy to convince people that whatever it is they are worried about, depression is not the answer. Because it never is.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are some liberals who I believe are only truly happy when they are miserable and able to moan about all the problems in the world. The Good Fight had a line early in the last season where the lead character said "I'm a liberal - misery anywhere is misery everywhere" or something to that effect. NPR and the New Yorker seem to go out of their way to find social ills in every corner of the world. Not saying the misery isn't justified, but that the focus on misery presents an incomplete and false picture of the way things are.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The saddest part about the Fox News filings is that the bulk of the elected GOP in DC is in the same boat. Willing to repeat and amplify falsehoods for the sake of satisfying the base. Similar to liberals and misery, conservatives seem to view outrage as one of the five basic food groups

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted