1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I have moved past where TLOU is in the show versus in the game and likely will finish before there is another episode, so I have flipped from knowing a little what is coming in the game because of the show to I will have some idea in the show because of the game. Such an interesting experience!

That said, some of the biggest criticisms I have seen regarding the show (outside of the false rage of the relationships above), is a lack of action in the show. Now having experienced both, I tend to agree with this some.

The game obviously has a lot of over-the-top action. It's what makes a game a game and makes it difficult. I also think the show was trying to focus on the relationships and not make it so much about the infected. That said, there are a few sequences that are completely missing from the show (the tunnels specifically come to my mind), and I think it would have benefited at least some of those elements sprinkled in.

It is definitely interesting to see the differences.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ellie frantically searching the house for anything that can help Joel is sort of like the parts of the game where you just randomly explore old houses and supplies and such, so that sort of scratches that itch. But I do tend to agree that the world in the show is a little too free of infected in large swaths of places. Like in the game, there were a lot of infected at the university when Joel and Ellie got there. None in the show. Not sure why they made that choice.

Roscablo likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Yeah, and the infected at the university weren't particularly over the top either. It fit with what they were trying to accomplish there.

Obviously in the game to this point have not just seen but had to fight multiple bloaters. You have only seen one in the show and our main characters didn't even interact with it. It is just interesting to see how they left so much of that out. It's like they went from a lot in a game, which again is sort of the point of a game, to none in the show. Would seem like there would be more balance.

Like I said, I think they are trying to make it so it isn't so much of a traditional "zombie" show, but they are missing elements of intrigue that could add to the show. Doesn't have to be constant fighting of the infected, but I think some of these encounters do enhance the story.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I definitely think that the show is "slower" because they're dealing with the shadow / fallout of The Walking Dead essentially running itself into the ground. Like, we had a zombie show that ran for 11 seasons, plus spinoffs, who's main move was the action-y shock. While TLoU video game definitely has action, it definitely had way more "calm" moments than TWD media ever had, and you can feel the creators of TLoU show leaning into that.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We’ve been watching American Auto and have mostly been disappointed. This week’s episode was actually Office level funny.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I finished TLOU2 a couple days ago. Jesus Christ.

sgreenwell and Roscablo like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That is the proper reaction to that game.

Also, fun fact learned from Andy Greenwald ... the FEDRA captain in the last episode is the same guy who played Ben Fong-Torres in Almost Famous. Had no idea. The voice of Owen in the second game is voiced by Patrick Fugit, who was William Miller in that movie. Didn't realize it until the credits and now I can't unhear it on my second playthrough.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The humans seem more overmatched by the monsters in many of the scenes in the show in relation to the game, especially the one encounter with a bloater.

One thing they talked about in interviews after this episode. They pointed out that repetition is good in a game, so taking on many of the monsters works, but it can be boring in television. I'm not sure I buy that entirely, but I'm enjoying the show as it is.

Roscablo likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It has it's moments. There are one or two real funny lines each episode, but it needs to be more consistent. They also could do without the stupid Wesley character.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actor Jeffrey Pierce played Perry, Kathleen's loyal right-hand man in Kansas City in Last of Us. Pierce was the voice of Joel's brother Tommy in the game.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And the guy who voiced Joel (Troy Baker) is about to show up in the next episode.

12. Roscablo

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the show. I really do. I just get the criticism of the lack of encounters, so to speak. I also completely think they are trying to not over do it with the zombie stuff. Let's remember, this game came out in 2013 when zombies were all the rage (still are to an extent), so it is definitely an element of toning that down. It also is clear they are focusing on the relationships.

The repetition in the game is definitely a factor. Still, like I said, I could use some balance with it. The tunnels and university are two points here that could have used a little more, even just a little, of the conflict.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted