1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Not to turn this to a game thread, although still plenty of TV talk within this, but I am likely going to jump right into TLOU 2 when I finish the first. Some of you guys' experience has me wondering if I should, but what the heck! Is it worth it?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's worth it. I waited a long time between games because I had read some reviews where people simply hated it. Then I saw it on the PS store for $9.99 one day and said what the heck. It's a great game, mechanically, adding some new combat functions. The story is much longer than the first game and introduces a lot of new characters. I missed a ton of stuff just getting to the end of it, which is why I decided to go back and play the new game+.

Roscablo likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The first game is grim. The second game is far worse. It is fantastically well-made, but I wouldn't play it unless you can handle being in that kind of space for a while.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

TLOU2 is basically two games in one. And it flat out kicks you in the nuts early. The blow was softened for me because I knew it was coming. It still sucked to watch.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

The entire game asks the question: Is revenge worth it?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does it say something about us as individuals and as a larger society that we are so enamored with a story that is so brutal and bleak?

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Brutality and bleakness can still be beautiful and mesmerizing. Just look at The Road.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

He's playing the same character (or at least character beats) as he did in Superstore. Which, not coincidentally, was created by the same person who created American Auto. I also wasn't too enamored with Season 1. Picking up a little in Season 2. Some good quick lines in that last episode.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've seen like five episodes of American Auto, usually in the background as I'm doing other things. It's made me laugh - it seems perfectly fine. Superstore was kind of similar. Both are on The List of light fare to check out for my wife and I, if we run out of those kind of shows.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Superstore is a fair comparison but I think the characters were better there and the writing was a little sharper. Usually, everyone on American Auto is an incompetent boob for 30 minutes. Last night was actually a good episode.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

I'm 10 minutes into Cunk on Earth and it's fucking hilarious.

garrow likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Another game/show TLOU post. Hopefully the last for the moment. Finished the main story. Great game. Very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out now that I know what happens in the game.

Started the DLC and am about a third of the way through it. Funny thing, another complaint I have seen about the last episode is that it was a flashback episode. Certainly from people who don't know that game, but still. You know what? The DLC is exactly how the episode at least started. Everything, from the moment Joel got hurt. The only difference is the location of where Ellie is trying to fix him up, which fits greatly into the DLC. Chronologically it is exactly where the episode should go if they were going to do it, and now that I am into the gameplay, they definitely made the right call to include it.

These types of criticisms just make me laugh, especially since the plot follows the source material.

Draft saved Draft deleted