1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help! Moving to DC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 26, 2023.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Be careful of the next-door neighbors.

[​IMG]

three_bags_full and Gutter like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Congrats!

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm not totally sold on it, but it's a pretty important and influential job. There's two kinds of Army officers ... the nice, spit-and-polished kind, and the grungy guy in the bullpen throwing elbows. You can guess where I fit in. I've spent my time in the Army doing something very different than the force management and policy development I'll be doing in this one. Imagine me advising the surgeon general on policy that will affect the force for the next 20 years...

TigerVols and FileNotFound like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Stay off the 405. Oh wait.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Run everything by us first, we'll steer you right.

Congrats on the career trajectory.

three_bags_full likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Did you stay in your current Armed Service, or did you become part of the SG officer corps?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No. I will not be on the TSG's executive staff. I'll be slugging it out in the bullpen.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Falls Church is a small, suburban city that basically hugs that lies basically west of Leesburg Pike between I-66 and Arlington Boulevard, a.k.a. U.S. 50. The city of Falls Church has its own, small, excellent district. The high school is now called Meridan High School (formerly George Mason High School). In Virginia cities are completely separate legal entities from counties. It is not like Illinois, where Chicago is part of Cook County. However, much of eastern Fairfax County has a Falls Church mailing address, even though they are physically outside the boundaries of the the City of Falls Church.

Having said that, I emphatically disagree with the comments about Fairfax County schools. The schools are generally excellent. If you look at he Newsweek list of the top 500 schools in he United States eight are Fairfax County schools. Thomas Jefferson is the honors high school and Langley and McLean are the rich kids schools. But basically any high school along the Orange line or the Dulles Toll road is really good. And some of them serve solidly middle class areas.

three_bags_full likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I went to public elementary/secondary school in Fairfax County and came out just fine.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is there anyway we can validate that statement?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I mean, I'm still here, went to college at a good school and have a pretty solid career, so I guess that will have to do, lol. My melting pot of a high school (Hayfield) was actually really good for me socially. Would have hated to go to some lily-white school. Would have actually gone to South County had I been born a bit later except it was Lorton Prison when I was growing up.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don’t want to threadjack here, but my kids go to an FCPS school and I stand by my earlier statement. It’s fine as long as your kids don’t need extra services.

I’ll spare you details of my personal experience, but there’s a very good reason the DOE Office of Civil Rights has found FCPS negligent in providing special-ed services and ordered it to re-evaluate every IEP and 504 Plan in the county to ensure that they’re being followed.

Draft saved Draft deleted