1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And it's good where they put the Denver airport, but at the time it wasn't. It's currently in a $2.3 billion expansion. The place was built to handle 50 million passengers a year but now gets nearly 70 million and is the third busiest airport in the world.

Empower Field likely will be gone within 10 years when the Waltons build a new stadium. Coors Field was a worthy investment and sparked a revival of Lower Downtown.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Where would they locate a new football stadium? Just curious, have no idea what's feasible or not.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Either the existing parking lots where the current stadium is, like they did with Empower next to the old Mile High then redevelop in that area or there's lots of open land out by the airport.

4. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

The Metrodome was used for college baseball essentially nonstop for six weeks every spring - the Gophers listed it as one of their two home fields, and all the small colleges used it as well, even playing at midnight or 6 AM. Now they get US Bank stadium for a much briefer period with more limited use, and perhaps not coincidentally, the Gopher baseball team (historically a decent northern program) is struggling like never before.

Machine Head likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wisconsin doesn't have baseball. Nebraska plays a lot of early games on the road, almost always opens for a weekend or two in Arizona.

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Brooklyn Bridge-

I don't understand media aversion to calling out freshly baked lies. There is nothing to lose. Literally nothing left to lose.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Also $650 million from feds.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remain very suspicious that the Walton's will build a new stadium. I think the Stadium District will. The bonds are usually sold for a stadium over a period of 25-30 years. That means Empower field is about to get paid off. But the tax remains. I think the Waltons are going to want that tax stream used for their stadium.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And someone had to pay for the Pena Expressway to get there. I don't think it was United Airlines.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Building roads to where people go is IMO kind of a basic government function.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most of them take road trips down South for the first month of the season. Looking at a few Big 10 teams — Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Illinois and Indiana — and most of them don't play a home game until around St. Patrick's Day. Lots of games in Texas, Arizona, the Carolinas, vs. SEC teams, etc. Michigan and Indiana play at home this week, although Michigan plays one at home and then goes back on the road for the weekend.
    Minnesota's first game at its on-campus stadium (built in 2013) is March 24. It plays a couple of series at US Bank Stadium until then.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"The People's Stadium"

Draft saved Draft deleted