1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Train derailment and chemical spill in Ohio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 14, 2023.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought I was a nerd for getting Progressive Railroading’s headlines daily. Wheel/rail contact mag must be a fun read!

Woody Long likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm sure they do happen, but I'm only going by personal experience. There is a MAJOR Norfolk Southern artery a mile and a half from my house, and it's about 200 yards from my work window. Multiple trains per day go through. There is no yard, but there are two sidetracks. In more than 50 years, I've never heard of a derailment anywhere near here.
    The closest thing to a train screw up we've had is when an engineer decided to stop his train to get a milkshake, blocking every intersection in downtown for a half hour!

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe this many derailments is a sign of an unhealthy rail system.

Maybe!

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Norfolk Southern that lax and ran that lean, or has CSX just been wicked lucky?

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The former. That big push by the rank-and -file railroad workers was because of the crappy work environment by NS. From what I understand.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

PR's title always struck me as unintentionally ironic, since the heart of the business is anything but.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trains have been derailing since the advent of trains. In recent times, the number of derailments is down something like 80 or 90 percent since the 1970s. So I'm not sure it's a matter of the rail system being unhealthy; or at least any more unhealthy than it has ever been.

If I was considering anything, it would be that the number of rail cars carrying hazardous materials on trains that derailed has grown, even as the number of derailments has come down dramatically.

I don't have a handle on just how much more by way of hazardous materials is being transported by train today than in the past, and how it relates to our reliance societally on hazardous materials relative to the past.

The knee-jerk for some people is to "regulate" transportation of hazardous materials; and it very well might be the right thing to do to protect people. But it will certainly come at a cost. We have more railway cars filled with hazardous materials today for a reason, and for example, dictating that that those materials have to be transported in more expensive ways will come at a cost for people. The two questions are: 1) Is that added cost relative to the risk of derailments acceptable for people (in the aggregate)? and 2) If the answer to 1 is yes, is there a reasonable expectation that whatever "regulation" is put in place will actually prevent hazardous material environmental disasters, and not become another excuse to create a wasteful bureaucracy that ends up costing us societally way more than it needed to, and exists for its own sake?

Azrael likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3 derailments in 5 weeks by the same railroad suddenly seems like too many even for Norfolk-Southern.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/06/norfolk-southern-adjusts-train-safety-after-third-derailment.html

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's not necessarily indicative of the entire rail system being unhealthy. It could be coincidental, and let's assume it is not, it could be an issue specific to Norfolk Southern instead of it being indicative of the railway system being unhealthy.

That is why context is always important. More people are waking up to the fact that trains derail. ... but 5 weeks never makes a trend. It's worth looking at longer periods of time before ever making those any kind of conclusions (and I realize you said "maybe," so no indictment of you intended :) ).

Regardless, given that over longer time periods derailments have come down and have actually looked pretty steady over the last few years, for me, the more immediate life-concerning question would relate to the transportion of hazardous materials. ... because again looking over longer periods of time the number of derailments that involved hazardous materials has risen. ... and that has the potential to negatively impact a lot of people and even put lives in jeopardy.

Azrael likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it's generally safe to say US rail - freight and passenger - underwhelms.

Again, the idea that the cost of the East Palestine spill will be born by the taxpayer means we're all on the hook for Norfolk-Southern cost-cutting.

Woody Long likes this.
  12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Both.

Norfolk Southern was also the last railroad to put up their track gangs in camp cars (essentially a trailer park on a series of flat cars), which was a huge point of contention a few years back when they were negotiating with the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Workers.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted