1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That seems like a lot of money for Geno, but that's the cost of doing business in the NFL.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He played all 17 games and posted a passer rating of 100 and change. 30 tds to 11 picks.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sucks for this guy. But I feel like this is every 40-something guy who thinks, "Yeah, I can get out there and play some ball even though I haven't played in 10 years" in one clip.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the guy but if you cannot run 40 yds at full strength then something's gonna happen later, no (as Nadel typically responds when he asks a question)?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Great for Geno, but I’d like to see the details on that contract. “Up to” can mean a lot of things.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Boy the franchise tag helps keep your stars on your home team but oh does it stink for the player:

Yr. 1 Geno Smith $52M
    Derek Carr $60M

Lamar Jackson (on the tag), former MVP and still under 27, $45M and no guarantees, which means he gets paid each game he plays.​

Meanwhile, Murray and Watson, get over $200M guaranteed.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I understand, but people need to stop using the Watson contract as a measuring stick. The Browns are a poorly-run organization that made a desperate move. They thought they had something special in 2020, then took a big step backward in 2021 and the Watson deal was the result.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

But marketplace includes all consumers, not just the rational ones.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean it is reasonable to expect the others to match that contract. Don't get me wrong. I've read that Lamar Jackson is trying to use the Watson deal as a model for what he should get. As a Steelers fan, I am enjoying the mess that is making for the Ravens, especially with Jackson representing himself. I like the concept that the Browns could have screwed both themselves and the Ravens with that deal. I just think it is silly to say every good quarterback needs to get even more just because the Browns were stupid.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That is insane.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last time the Saints signed a seemingly above average free agent QB that an AFC West team gave up on, it worked out pretty well.

Draft saved Draft deleted