1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not revisionist history. I have heard people raising concerns about him staying healthy his entire career. Regardless of the specific plays on which he suffered injuries the last two years, he exposes himself to more hits than a traditional quarterback given how much he runs. Is there really any question that a quarterback who runs as often as he does puts himself at more risk of injury than one who mostly stays in the pocket?

Of course, concerns about any guaranteed deal are also part of it. So is the negative trend in his passing numbers. Also, I'm not sure I accept your premise that he is a top-five quarterback. Maybe I'm biased because I've seen him mostly play poorly when he has been healthy enough to play against the Steelers. He has only 634 yards passing with four touchdowns and six interceptions in five career games against Pittsburgh. He also has six fumbles and no rushing touchdowns in those games.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jackson's passing stats improved in 2022 over 2021. They weren't spectacular, but definitely better, especially cutting his INTs almost in half, 13 to 7. Since he played 12 games both seasons, comparison is valid. His rushing stats were almost identical. Playing 24 of 34 games is the important stat, though. This is especially true because to maximize Jackson's abilities, a team has to have an offense in which he's inordinately important in passing, running, and handling the ball. If he gets hurt, as he has, his team is pretty much up shit creek.
    Of course, if Jackson can stay healthy for the Ravens this coming season, football will be more fun, and everyone in the NFL will have a better handle on how to evaluate him. That could be to Baltimore's benefit. Or his. Should be noted that Jackson will still only be 26 going into the 2024 season.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Tune in tomorrow for more speculation and hot analysis by Screamin' A. ...

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

His statistics improved in some areas, but declined in others. He completed a lower percentage of his passes and he averaged only 6.9 yards per attempt, a career low. His passing numbers are way down from his MVP season. He's a dynamic runner, but as a passer, he is well down the list among NFL quarterbacks. Some of that is a weak group of receivers, but elite quarterbacks overcome that.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

There is no revisionist history. He won an MVP. So did Mark Rypien. Jackson has declined statistically in succeeding seasons.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Jackson would have just moved to wide receiver, this wouldn't even be a debate.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So when you cite Rypien, do you do the same thing when they say Rogers is a 4-time MVP? "Its meaningless because you know, Rypien won MVP."

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m not even going to get into the Jackson-value debate, but Jones, Carr and Geno Smith…

Would I rather resign two or three starters and go with a player I drafted 1-2 years ago and practiced in the system? I don’t think those three are that much better than other options. If I’m running an NFL team, I’m drafting a QB in the third or fourth round every other year. If I get someone that can play, then I play them until I need to pay them a huge contract. At that point, I let them walk and start the process all over again. Hopefully, I have someone to slot into the position.

Mark Rypien is a great example of an average QB surrounded by a great team. It might almost be easier to build the great team than find the next Mahomes or Allen.

misterbc and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mark Rypien won a Super Bowl MVP, not a MVP MVP. The year Rypien finished fourth in the real MVP race, Thurman Thomas won it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Draft a QB in rounds 3-4 every other year and you're that much further away from the chance of building that "great team." The cost of OK to pretty good quarterbacks, in fact, the cost of QBs who've had a real good year on a contract year, even if it's their only real good one, is now established at $35-40 million a year. That's the market. And if you ever let go of a QB who's led your team to success just because you don't want to pay him market value, your coaches, players, and above all fans are going to be most unhappy. The Jackson deal has nothing to do with team building. It's a deep pricing dispute. He wants an historic contract, and his franchise only wants to give him a really good one.
    PS: Scout, you might want to check out what happened to Washington after that Super Bowl season.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Cardinals release Robbie Anderson.

Here's nut in your eye!

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jared Goff has two years left, at $31M and $32M
    Who would have thought that would turn into a sensible deal?

Michael_ Gee and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted