1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Mark Moseley won an MVP!

Jackson likely has plenty of good football left, but he peaked in his second season.*

This whole situation can be laid at the feet of the Browns. The Watson contract is forcing an economic adjustment, and Jackson is a convenient poster boy.

*So did Dan Marino, FWIW.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What about all the other guaranteed contracts, Cousins, Rodgers, Wilson, Murray, Mahomes, etc.:

Rank Player Guarantees
    1Deshaun Watson$230 million
    2Kyler Murray$189.5 million
    3Russell Wilson$165 million
    4Aaron Rodgers$150.8 million
    5Josh Allen$150 million
    6Patrick Mahomes$141.5 million
    7Matthew Stafford$130 million
    8Dak Prescott$126 million
    9Jared Goff$110 million
    10Carson Wentz$108 million

Let's not forget that Prescott his contract while he was recovering from his broken ankle and then he got hurt last year.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Who wants to tell him?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Be my guest. My argumentative reputation seems to be proceeding me. lol

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This feels like the football version of the "can you win with a bunch of contact hitters putting the ball in play instead of hitting it 500 feet" question in baseball. There are so many more teams trying it that way that the sheer odds suggest one of those teams will win the World Series. The way the NFL has evolved, I think it's probably easier for GMs to say, hey, look, if I had the superstar QB, we'd get over the top, give me another shot at finding him than to build a team without a superstar QB and continually fall short, which is what those teams almost always do. I think the last Super Bowl pitting two teams with caretaker-type QBs was 35, when the Ravens and their KILLER defense beat the Giants. There's been at least one and often two superstar QBs in the Super Bowl every year thereafter. The Matthew Staffords are fewer and farther between.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Are you saying Lamar Jackson's career will end with a 62-7 playoff loss to the London Sillynannies?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even Rypien had an elite season for that 1991 team, much better than the rest of his career.

9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone consistently throw the deep ball as accurately as Rypien did that year. It was wild.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls in 10 seasons with three good but not great QBs. Talk about a feat no one will ever match again.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Stafford got the shit beat out of him with the Lions and his body might be paying the price now

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don Shula got to a Super Bowl with David Woodley at QB.

Draft saved Draft deleted