1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2023 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And won two of the three in seasons in which there was a players' strike. Also a feat unlikely to be duplicated.

Liut likes this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Modern day sports radio take: "Sure but with only one Super Bowl won in a full season, is Gibbs really a Hall of Famer?"

Liut and Batman like this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning was an average QB his last year or two with Denver, and they still won it.

In 2009, Brady was about 12% of the Patriot cap.

QBs are now pushing past 20%.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brady notoriously took short (still healthy) money with the Patriots, with the Bucs for that matter. Peyton was done in the 2015 season, but in 2013 with Denver he set records, and in 2014 he threw for 4700 plus yards and 39 TDs.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I keep seeing and hearing reports that the Jets are about to get Aaron Rodgers. If they do, how badly do you y'all think they will get fleeced in the deal?

6. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

This guy's fans are more rigid than Tebow's were. He costs too much, provides too little and breaks easily. Not much else to say.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Ravens disagree. Let's not forget the basics of Jackson's contract discussion. The Ravens were willing to give him a deal towards the top of NFL QB contracts -- just not one as good as Watson's deal with Cleveland. Had the Browns not been stupid (a wish on the level of were I 30 years younger and 20 pounds lighter), he'd probably be re-upped with Baltimore already with little muss or fuss.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Brady was one of the highest cap hits in 2009.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll take the under. I think they get him for surprisingly cheap. Neither team has any leverage here. Both painted themselves into a corner; and in deals like these to me it seems that the team trading the star usually gets about .60-.70 cents on the dollar.

Webster likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that both are in bad situations, but the Jets have to be desperate at this point. It is amazing that they have built a decent team while wasting two top-five picks on quarterbacks who are busts.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guess, though they could say that they'll walk and give 2 ones for Jackson.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’m sure I will be wrong, but my guess is that it’s a second rounder this year and a pick next year based on how he does in 2023

Guy_Incognito likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted