1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The whole business model for this is part of the problem. Financial institutions play roulette with loans.
    When my wife and I took out our loan to build our house, we did it at our local bank. It's located two miles from my house on Main Street. The loan officer is a family friend. The senior VP is a close family friend. Local folks doing local business.
    The ink wasn't even dry before they sold the loan to some company somewhere.
    From our standpoint, it doesn't matter who we pay, but I just think it's silly to do business that way.
    Of course, the bankers being family friends, it was a win for them because from past performance, they know they'll get very little interest from us. We always make double and about nine months out of the year triple payments. Our 30-year loan will be paid off in under 10.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

explain it to me like I'm 5

jeremy-irons.jpg

cdc2decd520187a15eaf705e2c85bab9.jpg

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

https://www.fdic.gov/news/press-releases/2023/pr23016.html

4. The Big Ragu

What is going on wiht SVB has nothing to do with loan defaults. Those may be coming in the future (an insane amount of early-stage, dog poop, tech start up money was being funded by this bank), but that wasn't the issue.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  5. The Big Ragu

The 15th largest bank in the country failed and is in receivership.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not too big to fail. Get in the Top 10 before we mourn you.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

You got me thinking. ... SVB was making loans with weak collateral to tech start ups. As one of the covenants of some of those loans, you needed to keep a certain balance in deposits WITH SVB. Now those ventures have no access to the money to make their loan payments AND they are technically in violation of one of the covenants of their loans. What a mess that is going to be to sort out.

Also, from the SVB website: 88 percent of Forbes' next billion dollar companies bank with SVB. Half of all tech and life science startups bank with them. 44 percent of US venture-backed tech and healhcare IPOs year to date bank with them.

Even if you don't see a cascade of loan defaults now, quite a bit of the free money the Fed was distributing through the banking system was going through this bank. The lights may have just gone out permanently on the party.

The next question will be. ... a large percentage of those ventures -- and I am not sure how much in loans we are talking about -- are going to prove to be zombie companies that were being carried along by the survival of the unfittest policies that have been in place. They need to be able to either keep rolling over debt endlessly or borrowing more. There has been a shadow banking system that was providing a lot of that funding, but the cost of funding has gone up dramatically, and presumably the loosey goosey atmosphere that free money incubates where nobody cares about lending standards doesn't exist anymore.

What happens if there is a lot of bad debt trailing behind this bank's failure, and what kind of contagion may be in play?

Azrael likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

FDIC arrives to inspect the books.

jude-law-contagion1.jpg

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You're talking way over my head on that, and I don't know anything about SVB.
    My main point was I think it's silly for me to go to my local bank where I know the people and all my day-to-day banking is done, be issued a home loan, and them turn around and sell it to some major corporation. If that was always going to be the case, when we went in and said, "Hey, Gary, we need a loan to build a house" then he should have just handed me a card with the number of the people to call.
    In the end, we got the loan, got the house built, and I don't care who we pay back.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And here's why that's bad for Biden and the woke mob

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

Someone just launched two ETFs dedicated to this moron. ... One buys his recommendations. ... But the one that attracted more assets is the one that FADES him. It just launched a week ago. The ticker for the Inverse Cramer Tracker ETF is SJIM, for anyone who happens to be interested. But please don't construe that as investment advice.

Draft saved Draft deleted