1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

George Montbiot weighs in!

Azrael likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

It's like what I was saying upthread about people who admired Elon Musk and Matt Taibbi when their bullshit fit into those people's ideologies. Musk and Taibbi are the same exact disingenous / dishonest people they were then. The least surprising thing I have ever read is that George Montbiot used to admire Russell Brand. Unfortunately, unless George Montbiot is pure performance art (a possibility I wouldn't completely discount), he is probably clueless about the fact that Russell Brand is the same exact guy he was when Montbiot admired him. Bullshit is bullshit. The arbiter of it being bullshit isn't whether it fits neatly into your ideology.

Azrael likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

While it's certainly true every one of these dopes is a dope, it's also true their politics have moved from left to right.

The helpful elasticity of the word 'libertarian' makes that trip a short one.

Russell Brand, Once Seen as Progressive, Moves to Conservative Platform

5. The Big Ragu

I have less idea about what a libertarian is than what a conservative or a liberal is by the way people use the words. From my understanding of the word traditionally, I have no idea how it applies to what I see as dishonest opportunists who have plenty of ever-changing rhetoric, but no principles. So I'll leave that one to you.

I just know that Matt Taibi would write these things for Rolling Stone that were muddled messes; he'd take disparate things, weave something convoluted from them that didn't really follow logically, and then would conclude with conspiracy theory types of claims. He'd use colorful language like "vampire squid" to label his newly-created villains. And when his villain du jour fit into someone's ideological echo chamber, no amount of me trying to actually dissect what he had written to try to demonstrate how absurd it was, could have any effect. People would try to turn it into ME having an ideological bias because clearly I didn't want to accept the "truth" he was pointing out.

Same thing with Elon Musk. I could give specifics about what a charlatan he was and it didn't matter.

I dunno. To me, they are the same exact people today that they were a decade and a half ago.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Azrael likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The company scrip is going to be Silicon Valley Bank stock.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Confederate dollars and Krugerrands are acceptable as well.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Worked for David Koresh and Jim Jones until, well ...

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

They will owe their soul to the company store.

/16 tons

@garrow

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You load 16 tweets, what do you get?
    Another day older and deep in regret

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted