1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Love that show. Would have been fine if season three finished off the series.

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Just finished Around The World In 80 Days. David Tennant isn't bad but he's not great as Phileas Fogg, either. Abigail Fix's unlikeable personality was almost enough to cause me to bail. I loved the score. Gosh, it was great in the way it combined the aural motif of Big Ben's chimes with modern and Victorian era music. I was curious to see if this was same composer who did such a brilliant job with Sherlock's score. Nope. Different people.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Anybody watch History of the World Part 2? I haven't yet. Actually want to watch Part 1 again first, only because I only saw it once, decades ago.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My non-technical mom claims she's subscribing to Hulu to watch that on her iPad, since she has no connected TVs. I'll believe it when I can steal her login. :D

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was pleased that they did indeed include some of the payoffs from the "previews" at the end of the movie.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Wenders likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I made it through U.S. Grant trying to enlist the help of Abraham Lincoln's son to sneak him booze. Nyet. It has better actors and the art direction is gorgeous, but the humor is just not my cuppa. I go into Books movies with high hopes and aside from Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, I am inevitably not feeling it early in.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Well, the nice thing about the way its formatted if you don't like one segment, there will be another one about 3-5 minutes away.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He had a brilliant run through "High Anxiety." "History of the World Part I" was spotty, but definitely had moments.

After that it's been an absolute garbage fire.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Brooks was spot on in History of the World Pt 1 when he said "It's good to be the king" (smothered in Bernadette Peters's tatas IIRC).

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Part 2: A lot of Kroll, a lot of Ike Barinholtz, a lot of Wanda Sykes. You'll especially like it if you like them.

Through two episodes, I've had about 4-5 laugh-out-loud moments.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Still two more episodes to go

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Without much buzz, Perry Mason Season 2 is off to a strong start.

Draft saved Draft deleted