1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Moody’s had the deposits at Silicon Valley Bank rated A1 until 2 days ago. Just saying.

There WILL be an increase in defaults in the muni market this year. One that takes people who looked at Moody's ratings and made "doubt it" conclusions by surprise. It's ALREADY happening.

The question is how many and where. The 500 basis point move in rates in a relatively short period of time is already causing stress. Payment defaults spiked higher the first two months of this year, and the Fed is still at it (for the time being).

FWIW, the riskiest sectors of the muni market ARE nursing homes and hospitals. ... the reasons I could write about, but I will get over myself.

None of that is a prediction of any sort that your muni portfolio is going to get hammered by widespread defaults imminently. I actually expect the Fed to pivot soon in a panic. They are going to need to prop the debt bomb up as the cracks they are causing get bigger. But I will state with certainty that if interest rates were anywhere near the natural rate they would be in an overly indebted society that can't grow further without a price-fixing czar mispricing the debt markets, you'd see 1) massive defaults (munis have gorged and have no way to pay back what they have borrowed), and 2) The ability of those states and local governments to borrow the way they have been able to for too long would dry up overnight.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

greed, for lack of a better word, is good

Bank_Run_on_American_Union_Bank.jpeg

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

How exactly in 2023 do banks fail or we have runs on banks to withdraw your money?
    It's not like a hundred years where there was a literal pallet of cash sitting a vault, and when it was gone it was gone.
    All my "money" in my bank account is numbers and code. My paycheck gets deposited, and the number goes up. I pay off my monthly credit card bill, and the number decreases.
    John Dillinger isn't going to bust through the door with a BAR and take it.
    I can understand a bank no longer issuing loans, etc., because it's in bad shape, but individual accounts are nothing more than a digital number agreed upon at a give time.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I misunderstood your point the first time.

The run was metaphorical. It was done by computer.

7. The Big Ragu

We have a fractional reserve banking system. Putting aside my posts about WHY highly regulated banks that have portfolios of very "safe" assets (what they do with your deposits) are now way under water if they had to sell those assets to meet depositor redemptions. ... your understanding of how our banking system is set up is very flawed. Things are no different today than they were when It's a Wonderful Life was made. "Fractional Reserve" means that they only have a PORTION of their deposits liquid to meet redemptions.

8. The Big Ragu

Runs on banks are a confidence thing. But right now there SHOULD be real cause for concern. Banks loaded up on supposedly "safe" bonds to earn something on their deposits. ... while the Fed was creating a massive bubble in the markets for those bonds. ... driving up the prices (because they wanted to drive down yields and keep a debt binge going).

The Fed is now on a rate hiking cycle (consumer price inflation got in the way of the fantasy) that is popping that bubble, and duh, the prices of those bonds have declined precipitously. EVERY bank in America is sitting on a portfolio that has unrealized losses because of the stupidity that led us to where we are today. I can actually understand people who don't want to wait around to find out how much of a problem it is for THEIR bank. I personally wouldn't trust anyone except the money center banks, and even there, the other shoe to drop on higher lending costs is all of the malinvestment it spurred. ... and then we find out what kinds of 2008ish types of leveraged gambling was going on, and who is to say those money center banks haven't been in the thick of THAT?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God help anybody who has a significant sum of money tied up in the proposition that “Surely the state of Alabama won’t abandon its obligations to the unfortunate in society.”

garrow and TigerVols like this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You know you're at the end stage of a credit boom when you can run a business charging $6k per account to organize holidays. Exactly the kind of bullsh*t Fed rate hikes are meant to decimate.

Tide's out. These start-ups are butt naked.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The run on SVB was organized?

Draft saved Draft deleted